Operating System - HP-UX
1753988 Members
5455 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.Failure possible caused by PVG-strict allocatio

Fenny_1
Super Advisor

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.Failure possible caused by PVG-strict allocatio

Hi guys!!

I want to mirror my vg00 using /etv/lvmpvg file. When i execute this command i recieve the below mentioned error.

#lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvtest disk0
lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg00/lvtest" could not be extended.
Failure possibly caused by PVG-Strict allocation policy.

i have changed the lvtest allocation to PVG-Strict. But it didnt solve the issue.
Could any1 please help me to resolve this issue.
Attached file contains the log file.
Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Re: lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.Failure possible caused by PVG-strict allocatio

Hi,

root vg is not supposed to be mirroed using PVG-Strict allocation policy. PVG requires more than two files to be there in the VG to be effective but as here you have only two devices in vg00,and you are only creating mirror(1 Copy) the PVG strict and strict will serve the same purpose.

The same can be accomplished by

#lvchange -s y /dev/vg00/lvtest

#lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvtest /dev/dsk/cxtydz

Also note that for root mirroring to be effective you should extend the mirrors in sequence i.e. lvol1,lvol2,lvol3 and so on. Atleast for first three it is mandatory to follow the sequence.

But apparently it seems that the root is allready mirrored and you just wish to mirror one LVOL in the vg00.

The reason for less responses to your threads is that you have never assigned points to the replies to your threads. Your unassigned threads are listed here

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=CA1204793&listType=unassigned&forumId=1

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Siju Vadakkan
Trusted Contributor

Re: lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.Failure possible caused by PVG-strict allocatio

Usually PVG/strict allocation policy is implement if the disks are on different controllers and here in this case both the disks are on the same controller.

Better remove the second disk from vg and remove the entry for vg00 in /etc/lvmpvg also.

and then add disk again in the first PVG and extend the logical volume with strict allocation policy

vgreduce vg00 c2t0d1
check the entry in the lvmpvg...if pvg disk1 still exists remove the entry...
vgextend -g disk0 vg00 c2t0d1

lvextend -m

Note: Usually root will mirror with normal allocation policy
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Problem is resolved. And i come to know that LVMPVG file is helpful in the case when the disks are comin from different controllers.