Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lvmerge

himacs
Super Advisor

lvmerge

Hi Admins,

We had a fc driver upgradation activity and before rebooting we had splitted the root LVs using lvsplit.After rebooting we found some issue with primary disk kernel and booted the server with secondary disk.NOw i have to merge the LVs using lvmerge.

As per the lvmerge concept new lv name obtained during lvsplit be given first with lvmerge

lvmerge /dev/vg00/lvol1b /dev/vg00/lvol1

As per my understanding /dev/vg00/lvol1b belongs to secondary disk and what lvmerge does is merging secondary LVs with primary.

Please correct me if i am wrong..

As said earlier my server runnning with secondary disk kernel since issue with primary disk.Sec disk having new data and primary disk has old data after rebooting.

In this case how i can execute lvmerge command..?

3 REPLIES

Re: lvmerge

from man page:

/etc/lvmerge backup_lv_path master_lv_path

Data previously contained in the backup_lv_path is resynchronized
using the data in the master_lv_path. All new data on the
backup_lv_path is lost.

If I understood well you are using secondary disk because you had issues with primary, you can check that with a bdf, so now the backup_lv is your master_lv then the command should be:

lvmerge /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/vg00/lvol1b

regards,
Kranti Mahmud
Honored Contributor

Hi Himacs,

Check the below link:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90681/lvmerge.1M.html

Rgds-Kranti
Dont look BACK as U will miss something INFRONT!
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi himacs,

Good day to you !
As per 'lvmerge' manual, you can see the example of how to use 'lvmerge' command :

Merge /dev/vg00/lvol1b with /dev/vg00/lvol1.
Data in /dev/vg00/lvol1b will be overwritten by /dev/vg00/lvol1 and /dev/vg00/lvol1b will be removed.

# lvmerge /dev/vg00/lvol1b /dev/vg00/lvol1

For your case, since you would like to obtain the secondary LVs (/dev/vg00/lvol1b), so the command is like below :

# lvmerge /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/vg00/lvol1b

And to solve the problem on the old data on primary disk, please do the backup before merge the LVs.

Hope this information can help.

Regards,
Adi.

now working, next not working ... that's unix