New Discussion юеВ

mailrc error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

mailrc error

Hi all,
My user accounts do not have a $HOME/.mailrc file in them, which is causing the user's dtmail to hang. Does anyone know how to generate the .mailrc file?
Thanks,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
14 REPLIES 14
Roger Baptiste
Honored Contributor

Re: mailrc error

Hi,

if you are not doing any customisations for mail program, you can just create a zero byte .mailrc file in the user home directories.

HTH
raj
Take it easy.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Kelli,

They can copy /usr/share/lib/mailx.rc into their home directories as .mailrc. Also once they are in dtmail, they can choose mail options in Mailbox menu to change their settings (recommended).

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Create a .mailrc file(touch .mailrc with read /write permissions in home directory

-USA..

Good Luck..
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

You can look at /usr/share/lib/mailx.rc for a default file.

You can man mailx for some more info on how this file works.

GL,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Thanks-
I tried generating the 0 byte .mailrc to no avail.
I thought about the mailx.rc, but was unsure if it contained the default mailrc info.
I copied the file over and now my mail.log and dtlogs returns no errors, but wouldn't you know it; dtmail still hangs. The window pops up and the status note sits on Initializing... (I have to kill the process to stop it.) Anyone know where to look for clues on this one?
Thanks again,
Kel
The more I learn, the more I realize how much more I have to learn. Isn't it GREAT!
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Make sure that the mailx of the user is not too big. Check /var/mail for the mailbox.

-Sri
Kelli Ward
Trusted Contributor

Hi Sri -
I'm not sure I understand.
Do you mean the file size of my user?
Or something else?
If the first is correct, it is only sitting at about 430 bytes and is pretty small, although I have not looked into any file limitations as of yet.
Thanks,
Kel
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Sure you wouldn't understand as I ate "bo" while typing mailbox.

Did you try opening the dtmail with -f option.

dtmail -f /var/mail/user

Does it hang there too?.

-Sri

Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi (Again) Kelli,

Make sure you have all the CDE patches installed on your box. There are quite a number of problems fixed in subceding patches of PHSS_25137 on 10.20

-Sri