Operating System - HP-UX
1748123 Members
3339 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

make_net_recovery fails with save_config: error - unable to determine file system length

SOLVED
Go to solution

make_net_recovery fails with save_config: error - unable to determine file system length

#/opt/ignite/bin/save_config -f /var/tmp/myconfig vg00
save_config: error - unable to determine file system length

At the point in save_config where the error is reported the script is attempting to do a mkfs -F hfs -m of stand. Here is what happens when I run it manually!

# mkfs -F hfs -m /dev/vg00/lvol1
# echo $?
#

According to the mkfs man page:
-m Display the command line that was used to create the file system. etc...

Restoring /stand from a backup would work, assuming that the backup contained a good copy? I don't know how long this has been broken so no 'good' backup may exist.

Is there any other way to fix this? Fix as in, when the mkfs command is run it returns the correct information, therefore fixing the ignite etc...

Many thanks,
James.
3 REPLIES 3
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: make_net_recovery fails with save_config: error - unable to determine file system length

Hi James,

I Remember one case where the fs_wrapper binary was 0 bytes of size. Copying from another machine solved the problem.

Check if the same with your system.

Best Regards,
Prashanth

Re: make_net_recovery fails with save_config: error - unable to determine file system length

root@imisad1:/# ls -ld `which mkfs`
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16 May 17 2002 /usr/sbin/mkfs -> /sbin/fs_wrapper
root@imisad1:/# ls -lL `which mkfs`
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 0 Oct 10 17:30 /usr/sbin/mkfs
root@imisad1:/#

Wow!!! Spot on. Thanks a lot. I scp'd the file from another server and now the ignite is progressing... Thank you so much :D

James.

Yes that fixed it. For some reason the fs_wrapper was 0 bytes, copying it from another server with the same O/S fixed it.

# which mkfs
/usr/sbin/mkfs
# ls -l /usr/sbin/mkfs
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16 May 17 2002 /usr/sbin/mkfs -> /sbin/fs_wrapper
# ls -l /sbin/fs_wrapper
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 233472 Aug 26 1999 /sbin/fs_wrapper
# mkfs -F hfs -m /dev/vg00/lvol1
mkfs -F hfs -L /dev/vg00/lvol1 86016 22 7 8192 1024 16 10 60 6379