Occasional Contributor

make_recovery

Heres my setup:
A VME Chasis, a 743 processor card, a Osicom FDDI card, & HP-UX 10.20

I am performing the following commands to create a recovery tape:
ioscan -f -C tape
mksf -v -H [hardware path from above command] -b DDS1 -a
make_recovery -v -A

The recovery tape completes without errors.
I replace the hard drive, perform the installation from tape, and it completes without errors.

The problem is: after recovery, my FDDI card is no longer talking between the system. I check all files after the recovery and they appear to have been recovered correctly, including all the neccessary configuration files for the FDDI card.

If I replace the HD with the original HD I used to make the recovery, my FDDI is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Huber
ghuber@comptek.com
3 REPLIES 3
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: make_recovery

Try reinstalling the FDDI driver and any associated FDDI patches. Ive seen problems when restoring systems with FDDI or 100Mb lan cards, reinstalling the dirver and patches fixes it.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Did you do a comparison of the ouput from 'lanscan' and 'ioscan -fnC lan' on both systems.

It is possible that the device files may have changed if you have more than one LAN card.
wyan lowe
Frequent Advisor

using the latest version of make_recovery?

supposedly the make_recovery boot kernel has a lot of drivers built-in so that it can boot on most hardware (there's 3 or 4 versions of this kernel - depending on the hardware platform V, N, L, other - documented somewhere)

then if the boot kernel sees its a different box, it can regenerate a new kernel, and if it detect other hardware (like FDDI), if the driver software is installed (which should be in the archive) then supposedly it will automatically put into the new kernel and device files created. so it should work.

maybe the boot kernel can't recognize the FDDI hardware, so it doesn't know to build in the driver - is the FDDI stuff HP brand?

if its the same box, then the boot kernel just restores the kernel from archive - and it should work...?