New Discussion юеВ

Re: make_tape_recovery and fbackup questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian Bartley
Frequent Advisor

make_tape_recovery and fbackup questions

All,
In a system with only one vg(I know, it's not best practice), is there any difference between
make_tape_recovery -A and
make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00

and with fbackup, is there any reason to specify individual filesystems as opposed to specifying just the root filesystem? Some past threads indicated some folks made a graph file with all the mount points, I'm wondering if there was a reason to do it that way?

For example if I want to back up everything mounted under /, is there any advantage to using

fbackup -i /etc -i /opt -i /var, and so forth as opposed to -i /?

Doesn't -i / automatically include everything mounted under /? If I want everything under / is there any reason to specify the mounts individually? Thanks,

Brian

Brian Bartley
Campus Card Services
Indiana University
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Brian:

The make_tape_recovery option '-A' determines which disk(s) and/or volume group(s) contain essential files and then copies those files. Given that vg00 holds only operating system filesystems and no application logical volumes, I prefer to use '-x inc_entire=vg00'.

As for 'fbackup', I'd use a graph file to specify what you want to supplement your Ignite tape recovery. That is, if you do an Ignite periodically and at least whenever key configuration changes are made and/or whenever patches are applied; then you can use 'fbackup' to collect very volatile configuration files like '/etc/passwd' or '/etc/shadow', etc.

I wouldn't bother to do a 'fbackup' of filesystems that are otherwise covered by your Ignite recovery tape. After all, if you have to rebuild or clone your server, the Ignite tape is what's going to be needed.

Regards!

...JRF...

Brian Bartley
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all replies, I'm going to start using -x inc_entire=vg00 instead of -A.

Brian
Brian Bartley
Campus Card Services
Indiana University