New Discussion

Re: make_tape_recovery command

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becke
Super Advisor

make_tape_recovery command

Hi Guys,

I would like to backup only vg00 volume group and its contents to make the system recovery tape. Subsequently i want to backup the mount points and filesyste names for other volume groups and not the contents.

I'm using the command "make_tape_recovery -I -a /dev/rmt/0mn -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=datavg"

The above command backups the contents as well of the data volume group, and I don't want to backup the contents of the datavg. I only want to backup the mount points name.

Please tell me the right command. We are running os version 10.01 on the legacy system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Raf
5 REPLIES 5
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

All mount points are normally created with root file system itself & are generally backup. But if you meant by backup up the Volume group information for datavg then I would say that the information regarding this is always saved in the default PATH of the map file i.e. in /etc/lvmconf directory & is backup up alongwith backup as it is in vg00. Moreover if you want your datavg to be created automatically when you recover system from ignite then this is not possible. You need to import VGs on other disks or need to create new on other disks ( If you do not want to preserve old data) after booting from recovery tape.

The intention of this backup is to recover system in minimum time & that will be in case of a vg00 disk failure/corruption.

Post any more queries but be more specific what you want to achive.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hi Raf,

I haven't tried this, but this would be what I would attempt.

Use -x include, and -x exclude statements.

Give the -x include=/mount/parent/of/datavg_mounts

and parse your datavg_mounts like this

bdf|awk '$1~/datavg/{printf" -x exclude=%s",$NF}'

But as said, I'm not sure if this will work.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor
Solution

Raf, better and easier to accomplish yet
do the following.
Dump in one of the dirs of your vg00 contents the output of bdf or mount into a file.
You could also save the output of something like

# ls -laiR | gzip -c > /ls-laiR.gz

With files like these it's only one shell command involved to recreate directories with correct ownerships and permissions.
Madness, thy name is system administration
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks for your prompt response guys, actually am learning hp along the way and my expertise is in AIX.

Well there must be some option to backup just the mount points of datavg, so when you resotre the vg00 volume group, it will restore the mount points of the datavg.

I guess I would have to investigate a bit more....

We have a good team here...thanks guys
Flavio Lacks
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Using make-recovery -A, this option causes make-recovery to archive all of the files and directories in vg00. If the /usr file system is in a volume group other than vg00, that volume group will be included in the archive as well

ok

Flávio Lac