4919 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: man passwd aborted (sorry)

jj21
Occasional Contributor

man passwd aborted (sorry)

Hi there,

i think my users have no permissions for some manuals. After "man passwd" command (for exmaple) the error "aborted (sorry)" comes
i have no idea what is that ?

Thanks in advance

John

12 REPLIES 12
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Defect Description:
PHCO_33267:
After installing PHCO_31977, the following error
is returned when attempting to read the ps(1) man-page:

# man ps
stdin: not in compressed format
Reformatting entry. Wait... aborted (sorry)

This is happening because of the wrong format.

Resolution:
The man page is packaged in the correct format
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Sorry .. The above one was for ps and not for password.

What is the OS version where you are facing the issue

# uname -a
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please provide us the output of

# cd /usr/share/man/man1.Z
# ls -l
# file *

Post the above output
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You might want to look at all of the man directories:
$ ll /usr/share/man/*1*/passwd.1
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 8185 Mar 26 2004 /usr/share/man/man1.Z/passwd.1
$ file /usr/share/man/*1*/passwd.1
/usr/share/man/man1.Z/passwd.1: compressed data, block compressed, 16 bits

And of course all the directories need to have R and X:
$ ll -d /usr/share/man/man1.Z
dr-xr-xr-x 2 bin bin 16384 Oct 25 2006 /usr/share/man/man1.Z/
jj21
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the responses the file/directory permissions looks good see below. with root i have no problems to open the manuals only with normal userpermission its dosent work.

ll /usr/share/man/*1*/passwd.1
-r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 9294 May 4 2007 /usr/share/man/man1.Z/passwd.1
file /usr/share/man/*1*/passwd.1
/usr/share/man/man1.Z/passwd.1: compressed data, block compressed, 16 bits

Thanks in advance

John
jj21
Occasional Contributor

sorry i have forgot it is a hpux v2 b.11.23 on itanium 2 integrity Server.
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Please run the following command

# swverify \*

Post the file
/var/adm/sw/swagent.log
/var/adm/sw/swverify.log

Can your users write to /tmp ?

That's where man uncompresses the compressed man pages to.

As you'll see from the following tusc output, man opens quite a lot of files, vene excluding shared libraries (which I don't think are the problem - we'd see a different error message):

# /usr/local/bin/tusc -fn man passwd | grep open | grep -v "/usr/lib"
Reformatting entry. Wait...[man passwd ] open("/usr/bin/man", O_RDONLY, 0) .......................................................... = 3
[man passwd ] open("/tmp/man007638", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|0x800, 0600) .................................. = 4
[sh -c uncomp] open("/usr/bin/sh", O_RDONLY, 0) ........................................................... = 3
[sh -c uncomp] open("/dev/null", O_RDONLY, 05030) ......................................................... = 3
[sh -c uncomp] open("/usr/share/man//man1.Z/passwd.1", O_RDONLY|0x800, 0) ................................. = 3
[uncompress -] open("/usr/bin/uncompress", O_RDONLY, 0) ................................................... = 3
[sh -c tbl -T] open("/usr/bin/sh", O_RDONLY, 0) ........................................................... = 3
[sh -c tbl -T] open("/dev/null", O_RDONLY, 05030) ......................................................... = 3
[col -x ] open("/usr/bin/col", O_RDONLY, 0) .......................................................... = 3
[cat -s ] open("/usr/bin/cat", O_RDONLY, 0) .......................................................... = 3
[tbl -TX /tmp] open("/usr/bin/tbl", O_RDONLY, 0) .......................................................... = 3
[nroff -man ] open("/usr/bin/nroff", O_RDONLY, 0) ........................................................ = 3
[tbl -TX /tmp] open("/tmp/man007638", O_RDONLY, 0666) ..................................................... = 4
[neqn ] open("/usr/bin/neqn", O_RDONLY, 0) ......................................................... = 3
[nroff -man ] open("/dev/telnet/", O_RDONLY|0x200000, 0103317) ........................................... = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/dev/", O_RDONLY|0x200000, 01610) .................................................... = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/dev/pty/", O_RDONLY|0x200000, 01610) ................................................ = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/dev/ptym/", O_RDONLY|0x200000, 01610) ............................................... = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/dev/pts/", O_RDONLY|0x200000, 01610) ................................................ = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/usr/share/lib/term/tab37", O_RDONLY, 0) ............................................. = 4
[nroff -man ] open("/usr/share/lib/tmac/tmac.an", O_RDONLY, 0666) ........................................ = 5
[nroff -man ] open("/usr/share/lib/macros/an", O_RDONLY, 0666) ........................................... = 6

If the user can't open any of these files, then man might fail...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Yes Duncan. You are absolutely right

I have changed the permission of /tmp to 444, and man dumps.

Change the permission of /tmp.
This is definately a good solution and question