maxdsiz_64bit

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Ferro
Regular Advisor

maxdsiz_64bit

Hello,

I have server "ia64 hp superdome server SD64B",
I received a request from Application team to increase the size to 48GB as equal to physical memory size. My question how i could know the biggest segment size so according to that i can make my decesion?

Regards,
7 REPLIES 7
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: maxdsiz_64bit

You can increase it to 48 Gb or larger, if you have that much swap.

You won't be running very many other applications if this one is going to use all of that space.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Addition to Dennis said about limits it is critical to increase this value ,peruse following:

The reason we limit these values is to ensure that a single process doesn't consume all the available memory. Remember, a process's view of memory is via its Virtual Address Space. A 64-bit process thinks it has access to 16EB of memory. This is the theoretical limit of a 64-bit operating system. HP-UX currently uses only 44 of the 64 bits. This limits the size of the entire address space to only 16TB. This should be enough for the foreseeable future. The fact that HP-UX uses the memory partitioning, known as quadrants, has an effect on how the address space is used.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Hakki: HP-UX currently uses only 44 of the 64 bits.

This is most likely a hardware restriction, not software.

>that HP-UX uses the memory partitioning, known as quadrants

This is for PA or Integrity 32 bit. For 64 bit, there are octants and that comes the high order bits.
John Ferro
Regular Advisor

Could you pls. explain what is difference between:

maxssiz
maxtsiz

Regards,
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

>John:

maxtsiz: the maximum size of a code/text segment

maxdsiz: the maximum size of the user/private data segment

maxssiz: the maximum size of the user stack segment

>Dennis: This is for PA or Integrity 32 bit. For 64 bit, there are octants and that comes the high order bits.

probably you are right, my notes seem little bit older. do you know any document about this topic recent updated ?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Hakki: do you know any document about this topic recent updated?

It should be directly related to the Itanium hardware and instruction set.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor