cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrate table of users and groups in HP-UX 11.11

Ignacio Luis Uzcategui
Occasional Contributor

migrate table of users and groups in HP-UX 11.11

I've been assigned the task to migrate one server to another with the same Operating System installed (HP-UX 11.11). They differ in the hardware, but basically have similar software.
The main goal is to migrate the Oracle instance from one server to other. My question has to be with the migration of the files /etc/passwd, /etc/group and other files related to the users and their permissions.
Also, I must assign the same IP/Netmask to the new server in order to preserve the invocations of the Oracle instance from the users or applications.

Any suggestions or recommendations you may give me. Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
RickT_1
Valued Contributor

Re: migrate table of users and groups in HP-UX 11.11

Hello Ignacio,

First you are going to have to verify that you are using the same user and group ids on both servers and don't run into any duplicates. You also can't have both servers up at the same time with the same ips. If everything is going to be the same you could copy the files over to the new server if you aren't going to clobber anything. Hope this helps a little.

Rick
Abid Iqbal
Regular Advisor

Re: migrate table of users and groups in HP-UX 11.11

Hi,
I would suggest, ignite back.
Take ignite backup of the existing server on tape and restore it on the new server.
Disconnect it from network while restoring.
When all the configurations are done, take the first server offline and take the new server online.