1748280 Members
3866 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: migrating a PA RISC to a PA RISC

Grayh
Trusted Contributor

migrating a PA RISC to a PA RISC

When migrating a PA RISC to a PA RISC what are the things I need to take Care of....

like system firmware...Mp firmware... etc.. Do I need to take care of these things.. If So wat else are there to take care of...

from like to like h/w I am planning to take an Ignite Image or should I clone the OS... Is this a good Idea..

10 REPLIES 10
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

> When migrating a PA RISC to a PA RISC ....

That covers a very broad, long line of machines! You should specify exactly the hardware involved.

> from like to like h/w I am planning to take an Ignite Image or should I clone the OS... Is this a good Idea..

Taking an Ignite image of vg00 and applying it to another sever is called "cloning". It is done in disaster recovery situations (including exercises) and works exceedingly well when the hardware architecture is similar or identical and current versions of Ignite are used.

Regards!

...JRF...
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Well I have 11.11 running on these boxes and h/w is a N class...

So i will be migrating a N class to a N class...

what all should I check on thee source and the target like system firmware...Mp firmware... etc.. what other things can I include here in my checklist...

what could be the constraints of a migration like this

Here plz suggest... if cloning or ignite Image would be a better idea... If so can I do it on a storage disk instead of tape..

Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

If you have boot from SAN configuration check FC cards and systems firmware as well.

regards,
ivan
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

If anyone has done a forklift from PA RISC(it can be anything.. but to be precise a N class server) again to a PA RISC(N Class) .... Could you explain me the steps I need to follow like...

OS is 11i and 11iV1

what do I need to do before I move the servers from source to target.. and at target wat do I need to do...

As I am doing this forklift for the first time could you please help this learner in a detailed step bvy step process.....

thanks in advence..

Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

if it is a same hardware configuration ,you can use ignite.

Check following things:

are you planning to migrate your IP address

is both systems in same subnet

is both systems in same storage frame

how about the total data.

how are going to migrate ..are you planning to do back up restore or storage cut over.

Please find the answer of above questions so you will get the idea to migrate..

Thanks
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

>>are you planning to migrate your IP address

Yes IP address will be different... plz advice

>>is both systems in same subnet

No.. plz advise if else

>>is both systems in same storage frame

Will I have to move to storage assocated with the server or wat should I do

>>how about the total data.

total on all the servers could be approx 15 TB.

>>how are going to migrate ..are you planning to do back up restore or storage cut over.

Please advice what is the best way.. and how to do it from the command line perspective..

>>Please find the answer of above questions so you will get the idea to migrate..

Plz Advise
Roopesh Francis_1
Trusted Contributor

>>are you planning to migrate your IP address

Yes IP address will be different... plz advice

Ans: if you are not planning to migrate IP,you need to check is there any script/program using hardcored IP in your source system,if any likewise script ,you need to edit them with new IP(or you can ask application owner to do that)

>>is both systems in same subnet

No.. plz advise if else├в ┬ж
Ans: as far as IP is getting changed I could not see any issue

>>is both systems in same storage frame

Will I have to move to storage assocated with the server or wat should I do

Ans: I would suggest to take full back up of total data before you move the storage

>>how about the total data.

total on all the servers could be approx 15 TB.

>>how are going to migrate ..are you planning to do back up restore or storage cut over.

Please advice what is the best way.. and how to do it from the command line perspective..

Ans: Since it is 15TB data ,I don├в t think you can do a backup/restore here.As you said above ,you can move the storage to target server if both are in same storage frame.

Grayh
Trusted Contributor

>>>if you are not planning to migrate IP,you need to check is there any script/program using hardcored IP in your source system,if any likewise script ,you need to edit them with new IP(or you can ask application owner to do that)

plz advise how do i do this from the command line

Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Which one of the following should I use for the back up before the ship the server to destination...

I have SAP running on this L Class Box and is connected to SAN.....

make_sys_image

make_net_recovery to clone the system

make_net_recovery -s hp01 -x inc_entire=vg00