7331 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mirroring disk

bitou
Frequent Advisor

mirroring disk

i need yr help urgently.
i have two identical servers but i install the OS and the applications on the first one and i need to install on the second server the same application.
all data are stored in vg00 and i have 2 mirroring disks mirroring.
i think it is possible to put one mirroring disk into the second server on the same slot, and the OS will running without problem. can anyone help me to do this, and provide me the procedure.
3 REPLIES 3
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: mirroring disk

In theory, you are right but you need to consider the drive mappings, network addresses, host names etc. Minor things like this will change but in theory, the setup works. I have done it way back in the time of V11.0

Putting the mirror drive into the new machine, make sure it is not immediately connected to the network. Unplug the network cable to prevent unexpected duplicate IP address situation.

1. run ioscan -fn to discover the devices in the right h/w paths
2. run insf -e to create the device driver files
3. change ip address(es) and host name
use set_parms utility.
4. make sure entries in /etc/hosts file point to the new server name and IP not the old one
(steps 1 and 2 might not be needed as the machine does this at the boot time but sometimes and odd-ball device fails to show up, so it doesn't harm to re-run them but it is upto you)

if both machines are on the same network, this is pretty much it, but if I missed something, I am sure someone else will pick it up quickly.

thanks Mel.
what about the mirroring i have to recreate the mirroring on the first and the second server. but how can i do this??????
or i have to reduce the mirroring with the following command lvreduce -m 0 .... before i put the disk on the second server.
plz i need the complete procedure and steps to do on the first server and on the second before and after adding the disk
thanks for yr reply.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I can not help you step by step but can give you the guidelines. You need to figure out the commands you need to run on your own

Server1

* reduce mirror number to 0 (zero) specifying which copy of the root disk you want to take off the system

* pvchange the physical volume to inactive (pvchange -a n /dev/dsk/XXXXXX)

* yank out the disk

* put a new disk in

* vgcfgrestore -n vg00 /dev/rdsk/XXXXXX

* vgchange -a y vg00

* vgsync vg00

* make the new disk bootable (depends on your machine type how to go about this but search the forums and you will find the procedure)

Second server

After changing all above info and rebooting it,

* put a new disk as a mirror disk

* vgsync vg00

* make new disk bootable.