New Discussion юеВ

Re: modem issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>TwoProc: there's probably a lock file somewhere

Running tusc will quickly tell you what opens/stats are being done.
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

I found the command-line utilities for the VSI-Fax software, one that allow you to test the modem with AT commands and so on. I can connect to /dev/ttyd2a1just fine, force it to dial, etc. etc. so I no longer believe this is an issue with that.

I'm convinced now it is related to the fax software itself, and will pursue that.

Lock file - that does seem likely, I'm looking for it. VSI-Fax also maintains a database which might be hosed. I have plenty to look at.

Thanks all for the assistance.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Dennis,

That's good advice too, but what I was talking about was left over lock files after the program died/waskilled/crashed - tusc wouldn't show that, unless remnants of the program were still up.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I used VSI-Fax for several years (mid-90's) at HP, probably the same version you are using. I did have problems with VSI-Fax support, especially with the character mode menu and HP terminals. We mostly faxed out and the occasional failures were redone with a paper fax. I didn't try to track failure modes such as the type of fax machine on the other end.

I suspect that both the MultiTech modem as well as the controlling software may be the issue. I'm sure better communications methods have been designed into new fax machines -- the software may have been improved too. I would see if you can get a trial version of the latest VSIfax software.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

In fact, I've been trying to convince the department to use another method - the database they use can email docs as PDFs and I'd rather they do that.

I have a windows-based fax server for the rest of the company but these folks can't use it due to the format particular documents they send. But if I can get them to use email I can retire this older VSI-Fax stuff.

Thanks again.
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>TwoProc: what I was talking about was left over lock files after the program died/waskilled/crashed - tusc wouldn't show that

Sure it will. When you restart, it has to open and or stat that file and tusc will show those syscalls.