108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mounting a dvd

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason_309
Regular Advisor

mounting a dvd

I am trying to mount a dvd drive on a N class. Running HP UX 11.11. I keep getting the divice is busy, I am not in the mount directory and I just plugged the dvd drive back in.
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

You might get a more useful response in the
HP-UX forum, instead of this Tru64 forum.

lsof? Maybe it is busy.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

posted in wrong forum, moved to correct forum
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Pupil_1
Trusted Contributor

fuser -cu /cdrom
this will tell you the process using the mount point /cdrom. If there are any, then kill them and try again !!

There is always something new to learn everyday !!
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Jason,

Make sure that you see correct device name for DVD then create a mount point like /test-dvd and then try to mount it.

Thanks,
Srini
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Somebody may be cd'ed into the mountpoint directory. To verify, just create a temporary directory and mount the DVD:

mkdir /mnt1
mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /mnt1

If this works, the directory you were using is busy.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
ITlearner
Frequent Advisor

Hi jason,
DVD needs a daemon called pfs.
type:
#/usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &

#/usr/sbin/pfsd &

now mount the dvd.
so create a file
#mkdir /dvdrom
#mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdx /dvdrom
if the above mount cmd gives device busy.
try,

#pfs_mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdx /dvdrom

even if u get error in mounting create a new dir and try the mount again.

Regards.
Renga.V

Assign points if it works

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Oops, PFS is completely deprecated in HP-UX. It is full of bugs that will cause production systems to hang under a variety of circumstances. It is not a mount program at all, but a translator for RockRidge formatted CDROMs and rather than mounting the CD, it reads the raw CD (unmounted), translates the files and directories into an NFS interface and then imports this to the local machine. Do not use PFS! Once you get your CD or DVD mounted, you can re-mount the disc with the -orr option to see RockRidge filesystem. NOTE: make sure you have installed the 3 RockRdge patches.

Also, you mentioned plugging in the DVD drive. Is this a generic DVD drive from the local PC store or is it an HP drive in an external enclosure? Unfortunately there are a lot of DVD manufacturers that vary from industry standards for the I/O controls. And I assume you have already installed the device files for the DVD and can see the drive with the command:

ioscan -fnC disk

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Jason,

If you noticed that somebody cd into the mount point, use the fuser -ku to fix the issue.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.

Hi,

In HP-UX 11i sometimes when you try to mount a bad media you get the messages device busy, try another media.