5051 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mounting advfs partition

bennojoy
Occasional Contributor

mounting advfs partition

Hi,
i have a tru64 alpha server, it has not been used since 2 years adn i have lost the password, I tried to boot into single user mode
(boot -fl single ) but there also it is asking for password, so i booted with the installtion disk, but now the problem is teh root voluem is advfs filesystem. i amnaot abel to mount it usint mount -t advfs /dev/disk/dsk0a /var/mnt.
can u please help me mount the partition, so that i reset teh password (editinh teh passwd file)
9 REPLIES 9
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: mounting advfs partition

Advfs Fileset is the mountable unit (file system). Use the following syntax:
#

If its the root filesystem, it would be "root_domain#root"

So, the mount command would be:
# mount root_domain#root /var/mnt
bennojoy
Occasional Contributor

i has issued that command but it seems it needs the file /etc/fs** to make out which partion it is. now i am booting from CD so for me / is CD's root. which doesn't have this file. also when i gace the command it returns root_domain#root no such domin or fileset. anything acn be done.. can i mount an advfs filesystem partition without giving domain& fileset name. si there any way to mount only using the partition device(dsk0a).

thanks anyways...
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

My gues is that you can not mount it as /var/mnt because /var is not mounted

You need to mount root for update first.
Use... drumroll... mountroot.
(Used to be mount -u / )

Then you can move forward and moutn the rest or create a directory to mount a fileset on.

Google for 'mountroot tru64' and check out articles like:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1016939

http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Tru64-UNIX-Managers/2004-12/0036.html

Good luck,
Hein.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

It's not normal that tru64 asks for the password when booting in single user. Is the root password what is prompted for or the SRM (console) password?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
bennojoy
Occasional Contributor

thanks for all your help now i am able to mount teh partion , i did advscan -r /dev/disk/dsk0a it created /etc/fs*
and i was able to mount. after that i edited the passwd fiel make null teh passwd entry for root but still it is not accepting. soemthin gto do with enhanced securtiy. if soembody knows please help..

thanks guys....
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

If the system asks for the root password when booting to single-user mode, you have sulogin enabled. See "man sulogin" for information on how to enable/disable sulogin.

With Enhanced Security enabled the passwords are not stored in the /etc/passwd file. The easiest way to fix your problem that I can think of is to disable sulogin (see above), then boot to single user mode, mount the disks (bcheckrc), and use passwd to change the root password.

Ann
bennojoy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks ann
i was able to reset teh password by delting teh password.pag and passwd.dir file in /etc
i think it disables enhanced security.

thanks matess for your help.. finally my server is up...... Cheerss
Dave Bechtold
Respected Contributor

Hello Bennojoy,

Hmm, I would have expected the "boot -fl s" to have stopped at the single-user mode and drop to a shell prompt.

When booted off the OS CD you can mount an AdvFS file system using the following command example for root using dsk0a for the root file system.

# cd /etc/fdmns
# mkdir tmproot_domain ; cd tmproot_domain
# ln -s /dev/disk/dsk0a
# mount tmproot_domain#root /mnt
# cd /mnt/etc

Now you can clear the password field in the passwd file and reboot.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Bennojoy,

If you were able to clear the password by deleting the passwd.pag and passwd.dir files you did NOT have Enhanced Security enabled. You had the auxiliary user database set up. See the mkpasswd.8 man page for a description of this database. The Enhanced Security database (prpasswd) is something altogether different. See the Security Administration manual (or just Security manual, depending on your version) for information on Enhanced Security.

Ann