Operating System - HP-UX
1748085 Members
5026 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: move data from old array to new one ? reached max PV limit ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sammy_2
Super Advisor

move data from old array to new one ? reached max PV limit ?

Need to move data to new array.
Currently, I have 14 PV used out of Max of 16 as seen below.

Normally, I would add 14 new disk from new array, mirror to new array and then break mirror from old array.
Beacuse of 16 pv limit, I can only add 2 more PVs. Some of the LV's are larger than the 100gig ( this is 50 gig each PV)

How could I go about mirroring/pvmoving data to new array ?

#vgdisplay vgtest
--- Volume groups ---
VG Name /dev/vgtest
VG Write Access read/write
VG Status available
Max LV 255
Cur LV 24
Open LV 24
Max PV 16
Cur PV 14
Act PV 14
Max PE per PV 12815
VGDA 28
PE Size (Mbytes) 4
Total PE 179172
Alloc PE 170604
Free PE 8568
Total PVG 0
Total Spare PVs 0
Total Spare PVs in use 0

good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If this is 11.23 or 11.31 you could use 'vgmodify' to increase the 'max_pv' limits. leveraging MirrorDisk isn't going to let you change the underlying LVM geometry.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sammy_2
Super Advisor

Thanks for suggestion but this is 11.11
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi (again) Sammy:

Since you are running 11.11 'vgmodify' isn't a supported choice. Your current LVM geometry allows 100% utilization of about a 50GB physical volume: ((MAX PE/PV)*(PE SIZE)) =~ 51GB. Hence you can't utilize any more than ~50% of a 100GB physical disk were you to add it.

You need to create a new volume group with consideration given to its potential growth until you migrate to 11.23 or 11.31.

Unfortunately, you will need to copy your data from the old volume group to the new one at the filesystem level in a downtime. You can use 'pax', 'cpio' or 'fbackup/frecover' to copy old mountpoints to new mountpoints. When done, unmount the old and the new filesystems and reflect things in your '/etc/fstab' appropriately.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sammy_2
Super Advisor

Thanks JRF. Nice suggestion. I am thinking of adding 2 PV (from new array) to vgtest VG (which will bring my PV to max of 16). Then, I will pvmove one old PV to new PV (new array) and then remove old PV. Like that, I can add another PV. Repeat the process. That may work.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Sammy:

> I am thinking of adding 2 PV (from new array) to vgtest VG (which will bring my PV to max of 16). Then, I will pvmove one old PV to new PV (new array) and then remove old PV. Like that, I can add another PV. Repeat the process. That may work.

A 'pvmove' is only a poor-man's MirrorDisk and it is confined to physical volumes within a volume group. You cannot 'pvmove' extents from one volume group to another. Using 'pvmove' still means that your underlying LVM geometry for the volume group is unaltered. The original limits still apply.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sammy_2
Super Advisor

JRF, I fully understand your concern.
But tar,cpio, pax over 1 tb of oracle data and creating a vg, and copying data (plus not sure how reliable pax, cpio data is)
is less palatable then pvmove one pv at a time in the same VG group. I understand, I still have that 16 PV limit. But if I get request for new LVs, I will create new VG. I will only leave current space in VG for expansion of currnet LVs
Do appreciate your ideas.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>But tar,cpio, pax over 1 tb of oracle data and creating a vg, and copying data (plus not sure how reliable pax, cpio data is)<<<

In this case HP Data Proctector (SW) very handy

hope you d'not mind :)
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference