108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

moving directories to free up space on /var and /opt

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

moving directories to free up space on /var and /opt

hp ux 11.23 itanium... can i move directories like thunderbird,ltt,adobe,java1.4,omni from the /opt directory to another directory provided i update the PATH statement ?
(i'm using java1.5 but don't want to eliminate the 1.4 directory yet)

exactly where is the $PATH statement created for root, i found a file called PATH in /etc is this where the $PATH variable is sourced from
5 REPLIES 5
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

Re: moving directories to free up space on /var and /opt

You can do it but make sure that file inside the directory shoud not be used by any process otherwise purpose of creating some space will not be met:

to cleanup /var
#cleanup -c 1 # check for patch superseds :

Sanjeev Singh
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Donald:

> exactly where is the $PATH statement created for root, i found a file called PATH in /etc is this where the $PATH variable is sourced from

When root's profile is run, '/etc/PATH' provides basic contents of the PATH environmental variable. As software products are added (i.e. with 'swinstall') you will find that the '/etc/PATH' and '/etc/MANPATH' files are updated. This allows the automatic propagation of new directory paths to subsequent login sessions.

Regards!

...JRF...
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

as a test i copied the /opt/thunderbird directory (cp -Rp /opt/thunderbird /u04/opt)
i went into /ect/PATH and changed /opt/thunderbird to /u04/opt/thunderbird .. saved the file
opened a new terminal session
when i echo $PATH i see opt/thunderbird instead of /u04/opt/thunderbird ??
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

ignore my last... i had to exit my cde session and then log back in, and it now shows correctly
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I went into /etc/PATH and changed /opt/thunderbird to /u04/opt/thunderbird

Why bother? Just add a symlink.