6131 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: moving tape drives on vpar--URGENT

Trng
Super Advisor

moving tape drives on vpar--URGENT

Dear All,

i have rx8640 nodes runninh with 4 vpars(HPUX 11.31,VPAR A.05.04.01) and local tape drive is assigned to first vpar.now i want to take ignite backup of 3rd vppar on tape drive .how to remove tape dri from vapr 1 and assign to vapr3 .pls help me the step by step procedure with downtime details ...

Ple help on urgent basis

rgds
trnn
administrator
6 REPLIES 6
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor

1-)If you have available scsi card on vpar3 that you can attach your tape, you can just physically attach tape to vpar3's scsi card and use ioscan to see the tape.

2-)If you have only one scsi card on vpar1 then you have to delete it from vpar1 and add to vpar3. To add or delete I/O resources the virtual partitions must be in the down state.

May be it is time to consider to use make_net_recovery...
Trng
Super Advisor

Hi,

this is inetrnal tape drive which is allocated for vpar1 .My requirement is ,can we assign this tape drive to VPAR3 fro taking ignite backup ?..if not,is it possible to take ignite backup of vpar3 on tape drive in vpar1 ?

administrator
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If this is internal it surely shares the LBA with disks - so no way to reassign it to another vPar without loosing the disks.

Consider to use an external tape or an ignite server!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your tape is an internal one, I dont think it is easy. you need to analyse what and all the LBAs are assigned what are the devices connected to that LBA, it all will create very difficult situation.

Is your first Vpar is an Ignite server? If yes, you can take the backup of Vpar3 to tape drive of Vpar1.

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Trng

Cavdar is right

1) If you have multiple cards installed, then you can modify your vpar to assign each card to an vPar. This is just like having scsi card for each server (each vPar). In Vpars, devices are assgined at SBA or LBA/slot level.
If it is assinged at SBA level, then all of the belong to that Vpar, These can NOT be shared.

LBA of one vPar can NOT be shared by any other. These are dedicated.

You might Try,

export the Tape drive from the current vPar and mount it on the vpar3.

This may work.