1753695 Members
6178 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: msa1000 and msa30

bagek
Frequent Advisor

msa1000 and msa30

I have a pr3440 with a msa1000 and a msa30. I would like to add more disks to both. What utility do I run? I am on HPUX 11.11

2 REPLIES 2
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi,

If you have spare drives in both MSAs , use LVM/VXVM for configuring disks in HPUX system.

If you have no disks add disks in MSAs and follow the volume manager to perform the acitivity.

HTH,

Surendar

Was the post useful? Click on the WHITE KUDOS! Star.

For HP Guided Troubleshooting: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The MSA30 seems to be a "dumb" box of disks, with a fixed SCSI ID allocation scheme. If the MSA30 is connected to the integrated SCSI controller of the rp3440, the added disks should become visible when you run:

ioscan -fnCdisk
insf

But if the MSA30 is plugged into an optional SmartArray hardware RAID controller, you'll need the saconfig or sautil commands to configure the new physical disks into logical disks of desired RAID level. After configuring the controller, use the ioscan & insf commands (as above) to make the new logical disks visible.

On the other hand, the MSA1000 has a built-in RAID controller and either a SCSI or FibreChannel connection module. To configure the built-in RAID controller, you will have to connect a terminal (or a laptop with a HyperTerminal or similar terminal emulator software) to the MSA1000 using a serial cable.

Once you've configured the controller to present the new disks as LUNs with desired size and RAID level, you can use the ioscan & insf commands (as with MSA30 above) to make the new LUNs visible to the HP-UX.

MK