New Discussion юеВ

multipath extra /dev/dm-* files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

multipath extra /dev/dm-* files

Wondering if anyone has seen this..

I have extra /dev/dm-x files that do not show when issuing a multipath -ll but they seem to be actual devices..

e.g. /dev/dm-8 is a working device that shows when excuting multipath -ll

/dev/dm-16 does not show in mulitpath -ll but it is a working device that seems to be a duplicate for /dev/dm-1

if I knew how to show the WWID for /dev/dm-16 I could prove it was the same I am gussing by size and by a dd, that this is the same device and I am not crazy. but....

6 REPLIES 6
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Re: multipath extra /dev/dm-* files

oops.. typo.

e.g. /dev/dm-8 is a working device that shows when excuting multipath -ll

/dev/dm-16 does not show in mulitpath -ll but it is a working device that seems to be a duplicate for /dev/dm-8
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

found the issue, it is still weird, but probably just that way.

The devices being used by ASM and are partitioned. the whole disk device is one dm- device and the partion is another..

e.g.
/dev/mapper/nice-name1 equates to /dev/dm-8
/dev/mapper/nice-name1p1 equates to /dev/dm-16

confusing but I guess normal :(

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

You might wish to run "dmsetup ls --tree" if you need to figure out which /dev/dm-* device is attached to which actual disk device.

The command displays the major/minor device numbers of each mapped device in the form (major:minor), prefixed with the "human-readable" names. For the actual disk devices, only the (major:minor) is shown.

The device-mapper is a low-level subsystem used to implement multiple disk management features, like software RAID, disk encryption, multipathing and LVM. That's why you'll see /dev/dm-* files used for several purposes.

I hope you don't set up anything to rely on /dev/dm-* names: these names are not persistent and are very likely to change at system reboot.

The kernel does not really check for partitioning on /dev/dm-* devices like it does for real disk devices. That's why you need kpartx if you wish to implement partitions on multipath devices.

If you see /dev/dm-* devices in the output of your LVM configuration commands, you should probably edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.

Comment out the default value of

preferred_names = [ ]

and instead uncomment the commented-out alternative just below it:

# preferred_names = [ "^/dev/mpath/", "^/dev/mapper/mpath", "^/dev/[hs]d" ]

If the preferred_names keyword is not there, you might wish to update your LVM tools: I think it was added at some RHEL 4 Update release.

See also:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-5551

MK
MK
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks Matti, your hat is well deserved..

yes, this is an Oracle RAC configuration and yes I am using the /dev/mapper/nice-names for all configurations.. ASM is now requiring that the disk be partitioned.

I ran into this as I have a disk_configuration script that presents me with a report on disk configs, I could not figure out where the extra 7 /dev/dm-* were coming from..not easy to script when there are soooo many different ways.. ( I am an HPUX persona by heart, I am slowly getting use to the less diciplined world of Linux)

Thanks again !!
Tim

Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Thanks a lot Matti for the info about preferred_names in lvm.conf! Always great posts from you :-)

Tim, if you want to grab the WWID you could try:
/lib/udev/scsi_id --whitelisted --page=0x83 --device=/dev/dm-x
At least that's what I use on SLES11...
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Thanks Michael,

I will give this a try..

Having the darnedest time trying to tie all these together in my storage info script.

sda,g,l,p => /dev/dm-x => /dev/mapper/something

and then put a partion on and now have another multitude of device names to sort out.