New Discussion юеВ

mwm and enabling save unders

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Rainer
Occasional Advisor

mwm and enabling save unders

Hello
I am setting up users to log into a HP-UX 11.0 server using mwm. I would like to get save unders to work as the application that is run is a remote graphical application. Save unders should stop the redraws when the user moves overlapping screens.
I edited the /usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc and added
Mwm.saveUnders: True

I logged in and ran wininfo when I selected the icontray it had save unders:yes
but when I selected other windows such as telnet, xclock, a remote xclock it had no.

Is it possible to get this to work?

regards

Eric
3 REPLIES 3
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: mwm and enabling save unders

Eric .... this is a bit over my head but certainly at Motif 1.2 X protocol : the sever is free to stop providing save unders at anytime. Clients cannot rely on save unders & must be prepared to handle expose events. In the case of HP's Xserver, save unders are designed for the common case of pop-up menus, where, the menu maps, then unmaps. If you do other things with your windows, such as map, and then change the stacking order, the save under is discarded and exposure events are sent. I can only *suspect* the above could be your cause ... hopefully someone with more experience wrt motif programming can confirm this or suggest something more constructive.
Wodisch_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Eric,

are you/your users working on the ITE (Integrated Terminal Equipment = bulit-in graphics-card, keyboard, and mouse)? Or do you/they use an external X-server?
In the latter case you will have to configure "save unders" on that X-server, not on the HP-UX box...

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch
Eric Rainer
Occasional Advisor

Hello
Thanks for the replies -
I am using an X-server which runs on the HP -
Users connect to the HP server using Citrix Metaframe for HP-UX and I have enabled backing store on the X server.
xdpyinfo shows backing store and save under enabled as yes. My problem is the X-server in on the server and not on the user's PC ( i.e. Exceed) , but I was hoping I could do something with the window manager to improve redraw speeds. The caching on the PC with the citrix client seems useless.

regards

Eric