Operating System - Linux
1748136 Members
3838 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: my gdm is not working so plz guide me....

prawin
Occasional Contributor

my gdm is not working so plz guide me....

first unfortunatly i delete my root user after that i got requier it by adding a line to /etc/passwd file but my gdm is not working i cant able to login through graphical... if i restart the service also it shows that /var/run/gdm.pid file is not there.. but i check for the file its there but nothing is there except 2500 this number.. plz guid me how to recover it..
3 REPLIES 3
Larry Klasmier
Honored Contributor

what is the date and time on the pid file? My guess it is much older than when you tried to start gdm.

if you do a ps -ef |grep 2500 is there a process running with PID? Is it a hung gdm process? if so kill it, remove the gdm.pid file and try starting gdm.

also look the permissions on gdm.pid file are they what you would expect.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Also look into the /var/log/ directory. If there's a file named like "gdm.log" or something similar, that's the gdm log file. Check its timestamp. If it's recent, read it: there might be clues to why gdm is not working.

MK
MK
prawin
Occasional Contributor

i dont know the time and date.. while recovering my root user i entered only one line in that /etc/passwd file... this gdm service is gone due to that my entry in passwd file..i dont know wheather this reasion is correct r not.