108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: nagiios - check_load

Maaz
Valued Contributor

nagiios - check_load

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load --help
Usage:check_load -w WLOAD1,WLOAD5,WLOAD15 -c CLOAD1,CLOAD5,CLOAD15

I know -w means warning but what does WLOAD1, WLOAD5, and WLOAD15 means ?
likewise CLOAD means ?

please explains

Regards
Maaz
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

WLOAD is warning load and CLOAD is critical, you will get the results for 1, 5 and 15 minutes as in the uptime command.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi Thanks Ivan Ferriera

whats is the definition of load ?
-w 10.0,8.0,7.0 ... means show/give warning if load reach to 10.0 within last 1 minute and give the warning if the load reaches to 8.0 within last 5 minutes and also show the warning if the load reaches to 7.0 within last 15 minutes .. right ? but whats this LOAD itself ? is this LOAD is the load on processor/cpu ? whats the unit of LOAD ? whats the minimum value of LOAD and whats the max value .. i mean is there a range(min-max) of LOAD ?

a, which value of the LOAD could be consider as low ?
b, which value of the LOAD could be consider as average/tolerable ?
c, which value of the LOAD could be consider as high/non-tolerable ?
I mean is there a standard for the load values ?

Please help

Regards
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> whats is the definition of load ?

Please see:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/011sep05/departments/tips_tricks/

On Linux the load average is a measurement of the amount of "work" being done by the machine (without being specific as to what that work is). This "work" could reflect a CPU intensive application (compiling a program or encrypting a file), or something I/O intensive (copying a file from disk to disk, or doing a database full table scan), or a combination of the two.

>>> which value of the LOAD could be consider as low/average/tolerable/high/non-tolerable ?

You may find some information on the Internet about what is "high", but that information is not true. You must know your system and identify what is normal and high by yourself monitoring regularly.

Depending of the server hardware, the type of application, an so on, the number of the load will change. You must know at which load your server start to give poor response time in your applications.

For example, we have some big servers with load average of 80!

>>> I mean is there a standard for the load values ?

No. There are no standart values.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?