108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

named.conf recursion no; and sendmail fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

named.conf recursion no; and sendmail fails

If, on my primary mail/dns server, If I set recursion no; in named.conf, then emails fail with:

reject=553 5.1.8 ... Domain of sender address someone@a.real.mail.address does not exist

Course, someone@a.real.mail.address is used to protect the innocent (or not so innocent) IE - that's not the real email address...

my resolv.conf has

domain mydomain.ca
nameserver
nameserver
nameserver

I also use forwarders in my named.conf

When I do a dig or nslookup - it works fine - it only seems to affect sendmail (incoming and outgoing).

Thanks...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: named.conf recursion no; and sendmail fails

The host will use the first available DNS server listed in /etc/resolv.conf, in this case, the local DNS server.

So, and won't be used as long is up.

If you disable recursion, forwarders and root name servers won't be consulted, and Internet Domains won't be resolved.

So you have the following options:

Use allow-recursion option instead of recursion no.
Configure sendmail to allow unknown domains.
Enable recursion.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Ah - okay - so don't do this:

recursion no;
allow-recursion { our-nets; };

Only do:

allow-recursion { our-nets; };

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Don't use both options...