4318 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

net-snmp

himacs
Super Advisor

net-snmp

Hi Gurus,

I want to install net-snmp on Redhat linux 5.4 .
Please provide the path to download the depot and guide me how to install.

I am very new with linux.

Regards
himacs
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: net-snmp

"Depot" is a HP-UX term, and is likely to be completely unknown to Linux-only sysadmins. In general, you might talk about software packages: in RedHat Enterprise Linux, the package format is RPM.

Net-snmp is the standard SNMP agent of RedHat Enterprise Linux: you'll find the net-snmp RPMs on the RHEL 5.x installation media. ("Server" subdirectory, files named like "net-snmp*-..rpm")

If your system can access Internet and has been registered to RedHat Network (which is a requirement to get updates easily), you can simply run this command to install net-snmp:

yum install net-snmp

If you also need the net-snmp command line tools (snmpget, snmpwalk etc.), then you should also install the net-snmp-utils package:

yum install net-snmp-utils

The "yum" command will automatically detect if any other packages are needed: if so, yum will automatically include them to the list of packages to install, and then ask for confirmation.

If your system is not allowed to connect to Internet, you can install the packages directly from the RHEL installation media, using the "rpm -ivh " command.
Example:
- mount the RHEL installation DVD
- move to the directory that contains the net-snmp RPMs
- run "rpm -ivh net-snmp-*.rpm" to install all net-snmp packages.

The "rpm" command does not have as advanced dependency tracking as the "yum" command: if some of the requirements are not met, rpm simply lists what's missing and stops.

If you prefer a GUI for package management, you can start it with the command "pirut".

MK
MK