New Discussion юеВ

nfs and sendmail

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.S.
Super Advisor

nfs and sendmail

Hi,

Actually we are not using nfs so as a point of security we want to disable nfs service.

ch_rc -a -p NFS_SERVER=0 -p NFS_CLIENT=0 /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf

After changing the configuration file of nfs. Is it Okay to start and stop the nfs daemon or should need to reboot ?

and also

If we disable the sendmail daemon then users can able to send the mail?

My Os version is 11.11
models: rp8440, rp7440 and rp3440

7 REPLIES 7
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: nfs and sendmail

Hello,

>Is it Okay to start and stop the nfs daemon or should need to reboot

You do not need to reboot. Just stop the daemon and then make the changes permanent.

If your this is your mail server (used by your users as a SMTP server), you should not disable this. If they use other server, you can safely stop the daemon.

Best regards
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Jupinder Bedi
Respected Contributor

only restart the nfs daemon will work , there is no need to reboot the server

but I dont understand your second question , do you want to say that if you disable your sendmail daemon than can user able to send an email or not or else
All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare
S.S.
Super Advisor

My machine is not mail server.

But application team runs some scripts using cron and the output will be retrieved/redirected to the email. In this scenario if we disable the sendmail daemon then apps team can able to perform this ?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>But application team runs some scripts using cron and the output will be retrieved/redirected to the email. In this scenario if we disable the sendmail daemon then apps team can able to perform this ?<<<

By disabling "Sendmail" service

"Host / Server can Only send out mails " no bi-directional
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

>"But application team runs some scripts using cron and the output will be retrieved/redirected to the email. In this scenario if we disable the sendmail daemon then apps team can able to perform this ?"

It depends how they redirect the output of the scripts to email (and which email client). If they use the "usual way" - I mean the "mail" program, then you need to run the sendmail daemon on this host.

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
S.S.
Super Advisor

Thank you All.
S.S.
Super Advisor

Thanks you All