108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nfs mount stopped working (hp ux 11.23)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

nfs mount stopped working (hp ux 11.23)

we've been using an nfs mount for the past 3-4 weeks and all of a sudden i get "nfs server not responding" when trying to access the nfs mount... checked the server and the nfs process is running.. i ran the /sbin/init.d/nfs.server start command and it basically told me everything was already running. the only thing that has changed that i'm aware of is that we started up the snmp process ... what else can i look at
16 REPLIES 16
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: nfs mount stopped working (hp ux 11.23)

Have you looked at the NFS server? Can you ping it?
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

yes i can ping it..i can do an nslookup on the nfs server from other servers
Chandrahasa s
Valued Contributor
Solution

HI,

Start the nfs services on server as like

/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server stop
/sbin/init.d/nfs.core stop

/sbin/init.d/nfs.core start
/sbin/init.d/nfs.server start
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client start

check showmount -e shows any exporred mount points

Chandra
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Check if all the necessary services really are started with rpcinfo on both nodes.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1334452
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

stopping and starting the nfs.client/server/core fixed the problem...

the next question is what could have happened that caused it to stop ??

these are the events as best i can remember that took place between the time nfs was working and when it stopped:

i restarted snmp, i updated some kernel entries, but had not rebooted the server..(yet a who -r showed a reboot about the time i did the kernel changes ?)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> the next question is what could have happened that caused it to stop ??

Many sysadmins ask the question: What does it take to keep NFS working?

A great book on NFS for HP-UX is Optimizing NFS Performance: Tuning and Troubleshooting NFS on HP-UX Systems by Dave Olker. NFS is critically dependent on the server and client plus every step between the two. There's not a lot you can determine after a disconnect, and only a few things you can turn on before the next failure. Ideally, there would be a nettl or Wireshark trace of the network so you can see some of the possible problems. Even then, a flaky router may have caused the problem. NFS doesn't seem to recover reliably from network problems. Try to connect directly to bypass switches and routers.

The good news (as you've seen) is that restarting NFS services will get things repaired. And of course, the very latest patches for networking and NFS are mandatory.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

i've been reading other threads on nfs problems and in some cases a reboot has actually been halted by an nfs problem and the soltuion that i've seen has been to press the ctl key and the pipe key or the ctl key and the 'c' key that kills the hung startup script. since i use a cde interface, exceed, to communicate with the hp unix server how would i know if the startup process was hung ? is there some way i should do the restart that i would know if the startup process was hung ??

am i tilting a windmills ??
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>since I use a CDE interface,

You don't use CDE when booting. It is either the ITE or some type of xterm/serial console window.

>is there some way I should do the restart that I would know if the startup process was hung?

Have you logged on to the MP in console mode so you can see the progress?
Donald Thaler
Super Advisor

actually i do use cde... i do a shutdown -r, and then i wait for the server name to appear in the exceed management window and then i know its back up...i assume the management port would be a better way to shutdown and restart the server ...

is there anyway of displaying what the actual mount command looked like when it was created ? i created an nfs mount using a mount -F nsf -o hard..... but i can't rember the full construction of the command or where it might be located ??