108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: node name and host name

SOLVED
Go to solution
shashi kanth
Super Advisor

node name and host name

For some purpose, i want the node name and host name should be different.

How can i do this HP-UX.

If i change the node name with "uname -n", the change is not persistent across reboots.

How can i change it permanently ?

3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

First of all, according to the man page, "uname -n" DISPLAYS the node name. In order to set it, you need to run "uname -S".

Pete

Pete
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Shashi Kanth,

Refer to the man pages for uname

uname -n "node name"

(-n
--nodename
Print the machine's network node hostname)

How can i change it permanently ?
can you take look into your ( /etc/rc.config.d/netconf)

Example:-

There are two network names in HP-UX: nodename and hostname. Normally, they are the same. The man page for hostname explains the differences. The startup variable NODENAME is the UUCP name which is returned by uname -n, while the HOSTNAME variable sets the networking (ARPA, NFS, etc) name, which can be 64 chars long (see /usr/include/sys/param.h for MAXHOSTNAMELEN). HOSTNAME can be much longer than 8 characters BUT only if you define an 8-character or less NODENAME in the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file, like this:

NODENAME=myhost08
HOSTNAME=myreallylonghostname

And of course for networking, the /etc/hosts file provides all the hostname aliases you might need -- assuming you put files then dns in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Thx,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Hpunix_55

Hello , We have a Old HP-UNIX version B.11.11 . # uname -a HP-UX ptsttrps B.11.11 U 9000/800 806753329 unlimited-user license :/# is there any way we can change node name more than 8 characters. I have gone through many links, however I have not found any solution yet. Please suggest.