1751969 Members
4928 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: non-compliant

gogleboy
Occasional Advisor

non-compliant

The files listed below are referenced in a startup file. These files are group writable AND owned by a non-privileged group. This is a security problem because anyone with group access can modify the files. Files referenced in startup files are executed (or read) by the root account on system startup. Anyone with group access can replace these files and have them executed (or read) by root the next time the system boots. So how can I fix and make from non-compliant to compliant

File name:
/sbin/init.d/autosys: -rwxrwxr-x: autosys

Thanks
Nanda
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Use Google.

...JRF...

well one would have thought that

chmod 755 /sbin/init.d/autosys

would fix it

but if you don't understand what the command above means, you shouldn't be even a junior admin of a UNIX box...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
TTr
Honored Contributor

> These files are group writable AND owned by a non-privileged group. This is a security problem...

So isn't the fix obvious?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>/sbin/init.d/autosys: -rwxrwxr-x: autosys

Who is the owner and group of the file?
What fileset contains this file? Is it delivered by HP? What OS version do you have?
swlist -l file | grep /autosys

You may want to use "swverify \*" to see if already broken?

>Duncan: chmod 755 /sbin/init.d/autosys

I would go even further:
chmod a-w /sbin/init.d/autosys

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

While I don't see why a startup script should be group-writable, there might be an obscure reason for this. For example, maybe an admin wanted to be able to edit parameters in the script without becoming root. That's indeed a security risk but if you're unsure, you better not mess with it without reviewing what the script does first.

This might be something related to CA's autosys which is an enterprise job scheduler, so chances are you have a support contract with CA. I suggest you check with them to have an official answer.

Good luck
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Olivier: maybe an admin wanted to be able to edit parameters in the script without becoming root.

I would hope that rc script parms would be in /etc/rc.config.d/ and changed with ch_rc(1M).