5324 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: not able to kill the console process

gany59
Regular Advisor

not able to kill the console process

Hello Folks,

I am not able to kill the console process, i think the cosole process is in hung state. please find the output below and kindly let me know how to kill that process

dmocvb:/ # ps -ef | grep console
root 15329 1 0 15:07:34 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console
oraariba 7364 1 0 Jul 21 ? 46:18 /di01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/perl/bin/perl /di01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/emwd.pl dbconsole /di01/app/oracle/product/10
root 16065 12612 0 15:10:10 pts/1 0:00 grep console
dmocvb:/ # kill -9 15329
dmocvb:/ # ps -ef | grep console
root 16170 1 0 15:10:24 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console
oraariba 7364 1 0 Jul 21 ? 46:18 /di01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/perl/bin/perl /di01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/emwd.pl dbconsole /di01/app/oracle/product/10
root 16172 12612 0 15:10:30 pts/1 0:00 grep console

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

HI:

> I am not able to kill the console process, i think the cosole process is in hung state. please find the output below and kindly let me know how to kill that process

And exactly why do you think you want to kill the console login process?

If you examine your '/etc/inittab' and the manpages for the 'init' daemon you will see that the console login ('getty') is respawned if it dies. After all, you would want to be able to login at the console.

Regards!

...JRF...
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Note that the PID number changed after you ran your "kill -9" command. In other words, the original process died and a new one was started in its place.

This is done by "init", the mother of all processes. The console getty is configured with a "respawn" keyword in /etc/inittab: this means each time the process dies, "init" will restart it.

It would be possible to disable the console by removing the appropriate line from /etc/inittab... but you should not do it.

If you disable the console, some problems won't be fixable without crashing & rebooting the server. Every time a server is crashed, there is a risk of data loss. If you need to secure the console, do it by disconnecting the console terminal and placing the server into a secure room or cabinet, with a reliable lock on the door(s). This way, if you ever have a problem that requires console access, you will have the option of getting the key and opening the door.

If your aim is to secure the system against people who can physically touch the system and work with the hardware, please reconsider: this is *very* difficult and may actually be impossible.

MK
MK
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

All solid informations above...

May I ask you, why you want to do that??

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
rariasn
Honored Contributor

Hi,

"It would be possible to disable the console by removing the appropriate line from /etc/inittab... but you should not do it"

- edit /etc/inittab and comment next line:

cons:123456:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty console console

# init q

- kill console pid process

rgs,