8095 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

not able to log into SMH as anybody after patch

Peter Frazer
Frequent Advisor

not able to log into SMH as anybody after patch

Hi,
I have an rx8640 with an npar running 11.23 092006. SMH v 2.2.4. SMH was working previously and now I cannot log in as anybody, even root. all I see in the smh.log is

WARNING LOG (severity=1) Thu Dec 06 14:44:43 2007
User:root from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn was DENIED access to System Management Homepage

I am positive I am typing the correct passwords. I should mention that this system was patched recently with the latest patch bundles as well as Oracle RAC is installed. We did not check SMH between the two and this is happening on both the Prod and stage systems.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Peter
4 REPLIES 4
Andrew Scott_3
Regular Advisor

Re: not able to log into SMH as anybody after patch

I have the exact same symptoms. Worked, installed the HPSIM WBEM provider crap, and now I can't log into SMH as any user. I put the same software on an identical machine, and I can still log into SMH.

Anyway at all to find out WHAT is causing these denials?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I was trying to logon to smh after a long time, but the system said something like sign-in failure ...

After updating the old version to 2.2.7 it was working again

http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=SysMgmtWeb

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Scott_3
Regular Advisor

I'm using 2.2.5.1.

"Just install the newest version" isn't really a good answer for me. I'd like to know how to find out what's gone wrong and fix it. I have a dozen machines running this exact same version, with this exact same patchset, and this is the only one that has stopped working.

I need to find out why it stopped working. Is this problem going to hit the rest of my machines at some unforseen moment?

Just ramming an upgrade through out of cycle is going to be expensive for me. If it's a bug I can identify and point to, it'll be easy for me to get approval to run this through, but I can't go to my release management people with "I don't know why it broke, we just have to upgrade it."
Andrew Scott_3
Regular Advisor

I installed 2.2.7 on my problem system. I can now get back into SMH.

But, it doesn't work right anymore. It appears that 2.2.7 can't poll the hardware. In the "System" box on the SMH homepage, I have a green check for "System Status", but question marks for everything else (power, cooling, memory, etc.). If I click on one of those items I get a big red "CIM_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED: THE REQUESTED OPERATION IS NOT SUPPORTED."

If I click on the "System Status" item, I get a big red "CIM_ERR_NOT_FOUND: THE REQUESTED OBJECT CANNOT BE FOUND.: "HP_FirmwareIdentity""

So, 2.2.7 fixes the login problem, but breaks actual useful portions of the product. I actually have HP people onsite right now trying to get SIM to poll my HP-UX machines, and they're telling me I'm going to have to roll 2.2.7 out, but 2.2.7 can't poll the hardware while 2.2.5 can. If 2.2.7 can't poll the hardware, how is SIM going to?

What's the deal?