3584 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: not able to remove a LV in RHEL

laiju.c.babu
Regular Advisor

not able to remove a LV in RHEL

Hi Team,

I  have to remove one vg . This vg consists of 8 lvols. I had umounted all the 8 lvols. OS version is "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)"

[58]> df -h | grep -i vg001
***********]/

Then i did vgremove vg001.

But one LV(/dev/vg001/lvol7)  is not getting removed,  its showing as in open state

In /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab that lv  information is not there.

But in /proc/mounts i can see that lv informaiton

/dev/mapper/vg001-lvol7 /gis/gte/pro ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0  ====> this line is existing in /proc mounts.

But this mount point (/gis/gte/pro) is mounted to another lv

[60]> df -h .
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg002-lvol7
                      286G   56G  216G  21% /gis/gte/pro
***************:]/gis/gte/pro
     [61]> pwd
/gis/gte/pro

Now how can i procedd on this

Regards

p.s. This thread has been moved from HP-UX >System Administration to Linux > sysadmin--HP Forum Moderator

Laiju.C.Babu
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: not able to remove a LV in RHEL

Run "fuser -m /gis/gte/pro" to see the PIDs of processes accessing the filesystem. If there are any, try to make them stop accessing the filesystem or stop/kill the processes.

If you run "umount -n /gis/gte/pro", does the system output an error message? What does the message say exactly?

/etc/mtab is a regular file that is updated by the mount and umount commands. In certain abnormal situations, it might become out of sync with the real system state.

The information in /proc/mounts is produced from the kernel's internal state information in real time, so it should always be true.

If your /etc/mtab is corrupted, it is generally possible to replace it with a symbolic link to /proc/mounts:

mv /etc/mtab /etc/mtab.broken
ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab

However, if you do this, the "user" mount option in /etc/fstab won't work correctly. Some GUI-based mount/unmount tools might have problems too.

MK