1753705 Members
4921 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: one default gateway for all unix servers

Musa123
Advisor

one default gateway for all unix servers

implementing single default gateway for all unix server.
1) what are the steps want to follow?

2)server restart is needed?

any one pls help me....

thank you in advance...
3 REPLIES 3
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

You can use set_parms addl_netwrk.
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you consider HP -UX,

1. add the gate way IP in the configuration file ( /etc/rc.config.d/netconf).

And restart the network ( sbin/init.d/net).

Regrds,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

"one single default gateway for all unix server"

This statement above does not make much sense. I can tell your command of English language is not perfect but if you can try to explain what your current situation is and what you want it to be, it helps you get better answers.

Unix servers, 99.99% of the time, only have one SINGLE default gateway. To see what this gateway is, run the command :

netstat -rn | grep ^default

if you want to change this,

route delete default a.b.c.d

a.b.c.d is the ip address of your current default gateway. If you do not have one, you can skip this step.

route add default x.y.z.w 1

where x.y.z.w is the ip address of your new default gateway. Don't forget the "1" (digit one) at the end.

after you finish this you need to edit /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file and find the stanza defining the default route, closer to the end of the file, and replace the ip address of the default gateway with the one you defined as x.y.z.w above, save the file and exit.

Server restart is not needed but anyone who is connected to this server via a network connection, i.e., ssh, ftp, telnet and others, which means anyone but the guy on the console, more than likely, will lose their connections. So, you need to make this change from the console.

Last but not the least, please take time to assign points to the answers you received.