108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: one dlt using two servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Mills_2
Advisor

one dlt using two servers

I have a MSL storageworks DLT tape library with a RX1620 and RX3600 servers. Right now the DLT is connect to the RX3600 and works fine. I turned off everything, removed the terminator nd added a SCSI cable from the DLT to RX1620. there are two SCSI port on the DLT, so now both of them have a SCSI cable connected. restarted the RX3600 and it hung on bootup. so being short on time I just removed the cable and restarted. any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

> removed the terminator nd added a SCSI cable from the DLT to RX1620

You have created a single SCSI chain from one server to the other. There is definitely a SCSI ID conflict between the two SCSI controllers because they are both set to SCSI ID 7.
Even if you were to change the SCSI ID on one of the SCSI controllers I don't think this is going to work. The tape drives are not treated like disks by the OS. Even if somehow you get this to work, how are you going to control the activity on the drive and that there is no conflict from both servers?
You mentioned you have a DLT library but only cabled the drive. What about the robotics device?
Matthew Mills_2
Advisor

I was hoping that I could use it to create ignite tapes for both servers. I only have one DLT. How can I create an ignite TAPE for each server?
Michael Mike Reaser
Valued Contributor

Matthew>> How can I create an ignite TAPE for each server?

By connecting the DLT to one system at a time.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

HP-Server-Literate since 1979
TTr
Honored Contributor

You can not run a recovery tape on a remote tape drive so you have to hook up the tape drive to one server at a time.

Alternatively check out make_net_recovery and see if it might work for you.
Matthew Mills_2
Advisor

pain in my arse... thanks....
Matthew Mills_2
Advisor

thanks!
BUPA IS
Respected Contributor

hello,
I know you have closed the thread , but our solution is to create a dump area in vg00 on the system with the tape drive and do make net recovery to that and then make tape recovery of the whole thing. you have to recover the tape connected system first to get to the non tape copy.
or convert to san based tape .

Mike
Help is out there always!!!!!