Operating System - HP-UX
1751797 Members
5398 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /opt at 96% (100+ megs free) Remove Old Java Versions?

SOLVED
Go to solution
George Lenzer
Advisor

/opt at 96% (100+ megs free) Remove Old Java Versions?

I am in a situation where our /opt file system is 96% full and causing problems with the installation of HP OV Data Protector 6.1. Looking in /opt, I'm wondering if I should uninstall older versions of Java to make space? I installed Java 1.5 and Java 6 over the weekend to try and get Data Protector updated from 5.1 to 6.1 But I have Java 1.3 and 1.4 on the system. As far as I'm aware, no applications we use require these older versions of Java. But I don't know if any system software relies on them. Any ideas?

Beyond that, I have 490 free physical exents in vg00. I *could* extend /opt a bit, I just really don't like to waste the space there since most of what we use lives in /usr. Would extending the logical volume and the file system be advisable instead?
7 REPLIES 7
Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Hi George

If you can not move/delete any stuff from /opt, than you need to go extend only.

Regards
Sanjeev
Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
George Lenzer
Advisor

As much as I was hoping to avoid extending /opt, it looks like I have no choice at the moment. It also looks like I need to extend it by quite a bit. I pushed it up to 600 logical extents and the Data Protector installation still complained that there wasn't enough space. I think will have to find out if Java 1.3 and 1.4 (and anything else in /opt we don't need) can be removed or not. If I extend /opt any farther, I will have used up the last free extents in vg00.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Hi George,

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't get any definitive answers from my developers about whether any of these historic versions of java were still used so I took the gradual approach and renamed them, waited a week for something to crash, then rebooted the server to make sure nothing in the startup was going to fail over missing java stuff, then blew them away. It takes a little time, but it's the safe way, and /opt is static enough that you can probably afford to go slowly.

Pete

Pete
George Lenzer
Advisor

Pete

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that approach starting with Java 1.3 now since I'm doing a reboot. I did wind up having to go with a full lvextend using all the remaining logical extents. Now... to see if Data Protector will install correctly.
George Lenzer
Advisor

Data protector 6.1 installation worked! Once I determine if I need Java 1.3 and 1.4, and I've restored my IDB, I might be able to remove the old 'omni.old' dirs I left around from DP 5.1. For now I think it might be guesswork figuring out if Java 1.3 or 1.4 are really needed since each system's use of Java might be different. I should probably head over to Sun's site to get info on API compatibility between the different versions of Java. Need a few more hours in the day for that.
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

I barely use java here. I trash the old versions that have not been used for years.

And assuming I am WRONG....
I have a backup on an alternate disk.

hmmmm. Wait a minute.....

I have a big, empty external filesystem on vg01 called /bigdisk.
cd /bigdisk
mkdir java
cd /opt/java
find . -print | cpio -pdumvc /bigdisk/java
cd ..
rm -r java
ln -s /bigdisk/java ./java

Now I have java in /opt, but it is not taking up space on the /opt filesystem. It is taking up space on the /bigdisk filesystem.

When I installed omniback, it wouldn't go in because the /tmp filesystem couldn't handle it. So I made /tmp/omni_tmp be a link to this big disk.

I also put omni's /var parts and /opt parts on this /bigdisk.
It's been working fine for years.
...Java too....and perl.

steve
George Lenzer
Advisor

Steve

That's a great idea since /opt stuff isn't usually something the OS relies on. I've used this same trick for our third party apps when space has been tight.