New Discussion юеВ

Re: oracle installation on SAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

oracle installation on SAN

db version: Oracle 10g R2
db1, and db2 are two nodes in ocfs2 cluster.

/opt/oracle filesystem is ocfs2 and its on iSCSI SAN.

/opt/oracle is mounted on both machines/nodes.

oracle installation directory(oracle home) is /opt/oracle.

I am going to run Oracle Installer(OUI) on db1 machine/node.
Now after installation of Oracle will it be possible that I can run/start oracle/DB from either machine/node.. i.e in another words.. is it possible sometimes I start the db from machine/node "db1" and sometimes I start DB(oracle) from machine "db2" ? I am not asking/saying that I will run the DB from both nodes simultaneously.. I am just asking that will I be able to run/start the DB from any of the machine ?
6 REPLIES 6
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

IS it in RAC?
if so than if you run the " srvctl -d " then the both nodes will up simultaneously.
a warrior never quits
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Thanks ahsan,
>IS it in RAC?
no
Its a simple DB installation on both nodes. I am not asking/saying that I will run the DB from both nodes simultaneously.. I am just asking that will I be able to run/start the DB from any of the machine ?
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

yeah, why not. but make sure that the machine you wanna start the DB from , can do tnsping the database server.
a warrior never quits
Maaz
Valued Contributor

a typo/error from my previous post.
>>Its a simple DB installation on both nodes.
No I will install the oracle(run the installer) only on the "db1" node.

Dear ahsan,
from your reply .. what I think/believes is that the complete configuration and databases(tables etc) Oracle will creates goes into the /opt/oracle(the default installation case) .. right ? and since the /opt/oracle is available to both nodes...thats why I only need to run the OUI on one of the nodes only(in my case on the node db1)... but I can start the db from either node... right ?

regards
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor
Solution

i'm little bit confused. you are talking about OCFS2 cluster. but this is cluster file system, not cluster.

without OS cluster or RAC or CRS you cannot start installation both nodes simultaneously.
a warrior never quits
Maaz
Valued Contributor

ok its clear