1752511 Members
4629 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: panic (cpu: 0) Unaligned kernel space access from kernel mode

Victor_166

panic (cpu: 0) Unaligned kernel space access from kernel mode

Hello, I need your help
I have an Alphaserver 4100 and after an temperature site problem the server is sending this message:

Loading vmunix symbol table ..┬┤.[1239992]
Unaligned kernel access va 0xfffffc00070b932 pc=0xfffffc4c0
panic (cpu 0)Unaligned space access from kernel mode
DUMP: No primary swap, no explicit dumpdev,Nowhere to put header, giving up.

Thanks in advance

Victor
10 REPLIES 10
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you should define dump_dev on console prompt to a partition, the machine can dump to.

greetings,

Michael
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Normally, at startup, the dump will be collected by crashdc. Then you can analyze your dump data located in /var/adm/crash/crash-data.X
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

The "no primary swap" part of that error message looks pretty ominous. Can you see all the disk devices from the console ">>>" prompt? If you can find a disk device to explicitly point the console variable "dump_dev" towards (as suggested above) be aware that you will wipe out any useful data on at least part if not all of that disk. That's why the swap device is normally used for holding crash dumps.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Mark,

it would surprise me if it detected the dump at all except in a dump space. You would corrupt most certainly any file system if the os didn't prevent if with an open device error in the first place. The dump_dev is the location the os dumps it if does not proceed beyond the definition of swap in sysconfgigtab.

HP, am I correct?

Michael
Victor_166

Yes, I can see all the devices at the >>> prompt
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Exactly Michael - I was merely trying to warn that you risked overwriting (possibly good) data if you set that console variable -I wasn't saying anything about the usability of the dump.

Victor - have you tried booting from either the generic kernel or the installation CD and see what you can see as far as disk devices go from the OS?
Victor_166

Yes, we tried to boot the genvmunix, but the server present the same problem, I didn├В┬┤t probe to boot from the cd, but I installed Tru64 in a new disk and we put the failing disk in the second slot. we can see the disk and the partition but is not possible to mount the partitions
Martin Moore
HPE Pro

The system can't dump memory to swap because it's panicking too early in the boot sequence. There is no swap space defined by the kernel at this point. Setting the console variable DUMP_DEV will *NOT* get you around this. This is a common piece of misinformation floating around. DUMP_DEV is valid only to OpenVMS, *NOT* Tru64 UNIX.

As far as the panic, I would recommend re-running the ECU (EISA Configuration Utility) from floppy at the console level. All you need to do is run it, then save/exit and power cycle the system. I have seen several similar problems caused by a 4100 losing the EISA configuration information stored in NVRAM.

Regards,
Martin
I work for HPE
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HPE products is just a click away HPE Support Center
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Victor_166

Hello Martin,

For some reason my ECU floppy does├В┬┤t run, but I will try to get some other, but the question is if I have to run it considering that I don├В┬┤t have any EISA option, the server has only SCSI controller?