3699 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: partition is not acl mounted

iinfi1
Super Advisor

partition is not acl mounted

Hi all,

following are the details of our Intel Xeon server running Oracle db and app on suse linux. this is on a test server. the drive is mounted from EVA4400

haad-oas4:~ # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-3600508b4000a553700008000009a0000-part2 /oracleas42 ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2

haad-oas4:~ # mount
/dev/sda2 on /oracleas42 type ext3 (rw)

haad-oas4:~ # fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 107.3 GB, 107374182400 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 13054 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 6528 52436128+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 6529 13054 52420095 83 Linux

one of the developers required access to a particular folder in the oracle app directory (custom_top)to upload files at OS level. i was asked to create a new user at OS level and give permissions to the new user to access only that directory and its sub-dirs.
i decided to use ACLs, but i am afraid the fs is not mounted in acl mode.
is something in the storage blocking the filesystem from being mounted in ACL mode?

please suggest. i cannot restart this server or take a downtime. i will have to implement this in production once i get some resolution for this.
6 REPLIES 6
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Is this a recent version of SUSE?

what's the output from:
tune2fs -l /dev/sda2|grep acl

What happens if you do:

mount -o remount,acl /oracleas42
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> i decided to use ACLs

Are you sure that you need to use ACLs?

What if you set the group owner for that folder to some other group and set that specific user member of that group.

Did you "remount" the file system after adding the "acl" attribute. Check also cat /proc/mounts
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
iinfi1
Super Advisor

today i had taken over operations of this box from another team!
So i dont know whether the acl tag was put in the etc/fstab later or during the time of the server reboot. They giv some docs but all these things are not known to the admin either!
the server has been up and running for the last 6 months.
i didnt try a mount -o remount,acl /oracleas42
i was not sure whether it can be done on a running system without affecting the working of the database and application server?
this server where i am trying to change the permissions is a dev server but is critical. once its done here it has to be done on the production app server as well.

the folder where i am trying give user permissions is inside the $APPL_TOP. So if i put the user in that group the user will inturn have access to the entire $APPL_TOP which i dont want. the developers need access to a folder to upload some custom forms. So I thought ACLs are the way to go!

setfacl -R -m u:user1:rwx /oracleas42/..../.../xyz
trust the command is correct. well since its not mounted with acl its not gona work anyway for now.
iinfi1
Super Advisor

i can do a
tune2fs -l /dev/sda2|grep acl

and
cat /proc/mounts

only on sunday again when i goto office. sorry abt that
bullz
Super Advisor

Hey iinfi,

1)

Did you try seting acl @ directory inside the FS?

R u geting any erroe as below?

#setfacl -m u::-w-
setfacl: : Operation not supported

if not, you can try this option and see, if ur geting error or not.

2) Yes ofcourse, if the file system is not mounted with asl option you can't set a acl on ths FS. But you know it's works for OS file system like /var /usr /opt all by default.

You no need to reboot the server at all, you can just remount with acl option. if the FS not in use :)

I had the similar problem recently, refer below link for more details.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1436665

Good luck
iinfi1
Super Advisor

an oracle application server is running on that machine with its APPL_TOP in that partition! so i cannot take the risk unless its 100% certain that nothing will happen to the AS. or i have to ask the dba to shutdown the AS.
further i have a million dollar question. the storage which we use is hp eva 4400. is there any option in the storage which can block ACLs?