1752393 Members
6258 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: passwd changing

madhudeepan
Frequent Advisor

passwd changing

when i try to change the password for a particular user,, i getting a msg " u may not reuse a previously used password"
6 REPLIES 6
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

You seem to be running a trusted system and you have password history depth setup

you can change it (although I advice keeping the value as it is) by editing /etc/default/security file and changing the variable PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH

Hi

There is policy in your system to not to use same passwod for some times

check the file

more /etc/default/security file

Regards
Sunny

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>" u may not reuse a previously used password"

That seems pretty self explanatory to me. You can't use a password you have used before. That is a good security practice.

For more information on the "PASSWORD_HISTORY_DEPTH" parameter in the /etc/default/security file, do a 'man security' and look for that section of the man page.
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hi Madhu,

To avoid that message.
Pick a password that is different from the previous one or the current one you are using.
Wills79

Is there any option which will allow to set the same password used before (Changing the password for Normal User as a root user.) Eventhough the policy is set ???
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Then you need to disable the policy.

keep chaning few times.
repeat passwd root few times, till it is difft from the previous one and finally set it to the one you want.

if its the trusted system, then you need to manually clear the fields in /tcb/files/auth/r

vi that file and clear u_pwd