New Discussion юеВ

Re: patch update

SOLVED
Go to solution
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

patch update

Hi,

I need to install the most recent patch on a critical system running 11iv3. I need to have a strong roll back plan. I don't have a disaster system.

I know, I will required a backup and ignite tape. Do you have other idea that can speedup my restore process in case of roll back.

My hardware is rx7640 with 2 internal disk and an eva 4400 running VSEOE.

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have another hp-ux available? If so, you can use it as a ignite server.
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

yes and no, but I don't want to count on this one.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

You can try to split the mirror and keep one untouched while the other for patch installation (alt disk). I am not sure whether it is feasible or any document for it. But you can test it in a sandbox first.
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

This is what DRD was created for...
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi ... after a long time..

As our mate said, if you have spare disk there is no best solution other than DRD ( dynamic root disk).

There is no better roll back plan which is better than DRD , available as of now.

Please post your doubts on DRD now..

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What I used to do is boot the server form alternet disk if everyting goes fine then shutdown the box. take out the alternet disk from the server now boot from the primary disk install your critical patch.
if its fail just shutdown the box fix the alternet disk and boot from alternet disk mirror back to primary disk.

Suraj
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Any ways if you do no have DRD configured, just remove the mirrored disk apply patch if u like OK else put the disk back and boot from it, you back on the last stage.

I suppose Ignite is also pretty fast and good when everything fails it works :)

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

For taking the diskout, you should have hardware access ;)

There is nothing to configure for DRD.

Download and install the product. Thats it.use DRD commands to install the patch

Ohh I forgot that with 11.31, DRD will come by default ..( if I am right)

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

Hi,

DRD seems to be the way to go, I heard about it with the clone component, but I never used it.

Do you have a quick guide or reference for me. I need to make an update on a major system saturday night.

Thanks,