108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

pfs_mount on remote cd-rom

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

pfs_mount on remote cd-rom

We're installing oracle on an HP-UX 11.0 machine that does not have a cdrom so we're wanting to remotely mount the cdrom from another machine. Will we be able to modify the /etc/pfs_fstab to refer to the remote cdrom and then use the normal pfs_mountd, pfsd, and pfs_mount commands and refer to the /cdrom device for mounting or are there other steps required? We've tried unsuccessfully to do this as described above. This is our entry in the /etc/pfs_fstab file:

rga7:/dev/cdrom /cdrom pfs-rrip xlat=unix 1 0

Thanks,

..Joe
8 REPLIES 8
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Re: pfs_mount on remote cd-rom

Hi Joe,

I would mount the CDROM on the remote machine, using pfs_mount and export the /cdrom directory.

You'll then be able to mount that directory locally.

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Joe:

What you want to do is to export the cdrom filesystem on the machine with the cdrom and then use nfs mount to mount it locally on your machine (that does not have the cdrom)

machine_with_cdrom # echo "/cdrom -anon=2,ro" >> /etc/exports
machine_with_cdrom # exportfs /cdrom

now to the machine without cdrom:

machine_without# mount -F nfs machine_with_cdrom:/cdrom /cdrom

(assuming that you have the /cdrom as the mount points)
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Good luck! I can not get pfs_mount of a remote system to work. I have made a few startup scripts which I have attached to startup the required pfs subsystems at startup time. Maybe they will help.
Anyway, you are right that you have to export via /etc/pfs_exports, and pfs_exportfs.
Again though, I wish I could remotely mount a pfs file system. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction......

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

There is a pfs_exports file that would need to be updated as well in order to pfs mount remotely.

This also needs to be pfs_exports -a so the other systems see it as well.

pfs export on the local machine, pfs mount on the local machine, then pfs mount on the remote machine back to the local machine.

Make sure you have latest pfs patches. There have been many troubles with pfs and if it hoses, there are two machines you would need to reboot to get back to normal.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor
Solution

Use the following steps to mount the remote cdrom

On Server side:

a:create /etc/exports with: /cdrom -ro
b:/usr/sbin/exportfs -av
c:WARNING!! before exportfs you have to pts_umount the cd and mount it again after the exportfs command
d:nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
e:nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
f: Note: use (ioscan -funC disk) to find the device name
g:add the filesystem to /etc/pfs_fstab as follows: /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom pfs -iso9660 ro,suid 0 0
h:add the filesystem to /etc/pfs_exports as follows: /cdrom -ro
i:pfs_exportfs -a
j:pfs_mount /cdrom

On the client side:
a:nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
b:nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
c:add the filesystem to /etc/pfs_fstab as follows: :/cdrom /test pfs-nfs ro,hard,fg 0 0
d: pfs_mount -o xlat=unix remotesystemA:/cdrom /test
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Thanks Chris,
Your solution has worked. I did have the following error after step "j", which read:
Invalid type: pfs

But things are working OK. Let me know if I need any more changes/modifications regarding above.

..Joe
Fred Myers
Advisor

Mabye one of you guys can help on a similar Issue I am having.

I have a CDrom located localy I want to pfs_mount this cdrom remotely on a box located states away, the hard part of this is the box is a SUN box :(. I do not have root on, and this is something I will have to do on a monthly basis, is thier a way to set up automounter to do this for them.

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The reason you can't export the local CDROM mounted using PFS is that PFS is actually an internal NFS mount and you can't export an imported filesystem. You can use PFS export as long as the other machine has PFS but this software has been replaced long ago by native CDROM support in other flavors of Unix.

The good news is that if you download the 11.0 patches for RockRidge support, you can kiss PFS goodbye forever. The mount command will now mount the CD correctly without any PFS stuff. And most importantly, you can export the CD as a normal NFS filesystem.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin