108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: prevent jetadmin startup at boot time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

prevent jetadmin startup at boot time

I have been informed that the "old" web jetadmin for HP-UX has security flaws. Since I don't use it anyway, I want to prevent it from running at boot time. Is it simply a matter of removing the scripts for hpwebjetd from the /sbin/rc*.d directories? (I don't want to remove the filesets yet...) TIA

P.S. for HP'ers: Why on earth did you stop support on a HP-UX product and port it to Windows only? Do you not realize how stupid it sounds for IT professionals who have argued the wonders of HP-UX, to have to go and ask for a Windoze PC for "admin purposes"?
if only we knew...
4 REPLIES 4
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Tim,

There should be a corresponding config file in /etc/rc.config.d where you can set the startup parameter to "0" - don't start or "1" - do start. If you can't find the file, then go ahead and remove the ?sbin/rc*.d scripts.

Pete

Pete
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

Jetadmin has been replaced by HP JD Printer Installer for HP-UX.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=27349&prodTypeId=18972&pnameOID=18922

Yes, if you like you can move the scripts /sbin/rc*.d to an old* file.

example
oldK100oracle.rc

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses!!!

Pete - Thanks, I thought there should be something that called the /sbin/rc scripts with the start or stop argument, but I could not find it. Your response seems to solidfy the notion of just getting rid of the S & K scripts.

Robert-Jan - Thanks for the reminder on 'moving' them instead of just 'removing' the scripts!!! (and yes hppi is what I use instead of web jetadmin...the var just happen to have installed it's deamon to run at boot time.)

Thanks Again.
if only we knew...
Tim Howell
Frequent Advisor

Question answered per above...
if only we knew...