New Discussion юеВ

Re: print command line question

SOLVED
Go to solution
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

print command line question

Guys, have an HP4350 as a device serving our HP/UX 11.11,

I use a command line for compressed printing and it's not printing compressed. I am baffled by it..

the command I am using in lp -d -oc

It was working up until an IP address change in "hppi".. Any thought appreciated.

Printing works just not compressed.

6 REPLIES 6
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Rex,

How was the address changed? Was the printer deleted and re-added? Or was the IP address modified (option 1,3,3). I have no idea whether it would make any difference but I always delete and re-add.

Pete

Pete
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The -oc option works fine -- for HP printers that are directly connected to the network. It is completely ignored (as are all -o options) if the printer is being served by some other computer like a Windows or Linux box. Other options to control the width of a printed line:

lp -o10
lp -o12

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Bill,
What is weird we've been using the "-oc" since we first brought this system online. These printers have worked in the past with the compressed command, I do have a print command in the database that allows the user to select
Compressed, Landscape and with each command I pass the -ovsi7.27 for portrait of -ovsi5.45 for landscape.

I am going to delete the ques and attempt it from scratch..

I think it quit working when we went from 11.00 to 11.11, not for sure on that. I don't think the user made the correlation.

I have updated model scripts from time to time, and it could be one of the model scripts isn't right..

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

I would download the latest 4350 printer script, install it and then delete and re-add the printer with removequeue and addqueue:

removequeue -q lpdestname
addqueue -h 12.34.56.78 -q lpdestname -r off -b off -t off

The PCL codes for compressed and the codes for vsi and hsi are common throughout HP's printer family (those which support PCL5 and lower).

I am assuming that this printer is defined as a remote printer, served by some other computer.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

bill, thanks.

the printer is a standalone network printer, they do use it for other things such as PC based printing. One of them has a Troy Font for Check printing. The check printing is spooled through a different mechanism on the HP box.

I will download the updated to see what occurs..

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> the printer is a standalone network printer, they do use it for other things such as PC based printing.

That's good. Being an HP network printer, it can be used by many different, even at the same time. The network card keeps each job separate.

Make sure the printer was really setup as an HP-UX network printer (and not a printer share) by looking at the directory:

ll /etc/lp/interface/model.orig

This will have your printer's script if it is a network printer. If it is not there, then the printer was mistakenly setup as a remote printer and all -o options are ignored. Remove the remote printer with:

lpshut
lpadmin -xmyhp4350

Then add the printer back using the addqueue command above.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin