New Discussion

Re: printing to port 9100 on a non HP printer using the spooler

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Preston
Occasional Contributor

printing to port 9100 on a non HP printer using the spooler

Hi All, I am using HP-UX 10.xx.
I have a non HP (Canon) network printer that supports port 9100. I have read just about everything I can find on the spooler but it looks like it only supports port 515 (LPD).
Is it posible to print to another port with the HP spooler? Just as reference, on other SVR4 (sun) machines I can use -oprotocol=tcp with the lpadmin command. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Rick
Trying is the first step towards failure
1 REPLY 1
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: printing to port 9100 on a non HP printer using the spooler

Port 9100 was chosen by HP as the original printing port for HP JetDirect cards back in 1992. Very few other vendors have followed this example. If the Canon network protocol claims to emulate HP's JetDirect cards, then running jetadmin (or SAM and add a "network" printer, not a "remote" printer which is port 515) should work OK.

You'll need to pick a printer script that matches the printer's capabilites. HP-UX has model scripts for HP printers and a generic script called 'dumb'. If the Canon supports PCL, you could use net_lj3x or net_lj4x depending on the PCL level supported by the printer. There is also a 'postscript' model which essentially passes Postscript files as is but adds an ASCII option to print plain text files (which cannot be printed on a Postscript printer).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin