New Discussion юеВ

problem (NIS) boot up

SOLVED
Go to solution
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

problem (NIS) boot up

Hi all,
I am running 10.2. I was screwing around with the network settings. Not sure exactly what I changed. I rebooted and now it is stuck on boot up. Under the HP-UX Start -up in Progress. It hangs up at one of the NIS startups. The message is "NFS server (pid 776@/net) not responding still trying" then in the status column it keep switching between wait/busy.

Auuuugggg!

How can I get around this and get in to fix what ever I screwed up. I have not had this hooked up to a network yet, but it did boot up fine before I went in and messed with it.

Is it looking for a network, because I can hook it up to one?

Please help.

Thanks,

Phil
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: problem (NIS) boot up

> Is it looking for a network, [...]

Well, yeah. The "N" in "NIS" stands for
"Network". If you don't want to use NIS
while you're fiddling with the network
settings, then perhaps you should disable it.

I assume that you can still boot in
single-user mode, and take care of it there.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

You should be able to use the " break" key sequence at the console to break out of the NFS script that it is stuck at. The boot-up will continue and you can then correct the problem with your network settings.

Pete

Pete
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

Thanks,
I got in, by using the control break. I made changes in Sam,not sure what ever they were exactly. I am looking under the network and communications settings. NIS Server is disabled, NFS client is enabled. Should I turn the NIS client off?

Other then that I do nto see what else to disable

thanks,

Phil
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well, it's looking for an NFS server so I doubt that NIS really has much to do with it. Is it automounting an NFS directory from a server that is unavailable at the moment?

Pete

Pete
Phillip Popp
Regular Advisor

OK Pete,
Ya got me there. really I not this dumb usually. I just got assigned this part time, I really am a EE working on RF ic's, final test.

Anyway, it does say NFS It hangs up on NFS client subsystem, then gives the message I mentioned before.

When I tried to disable the NFS in Sam it said some filesystems were still running and it would not disable.
The only one listed was /net. It odes say automounter not running now.
I believe this will still hang up if I reboot. Is there a way to stop automounter? Man am I lost!

Thanks,

Phil