3717 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: problem mount cifs

Emilie25
Occasional Advisor

problem mount cifs

Hello,

I'm trying to mount a disk on my hp-ux server by using cifsmount, but each time I have an error.

# cifsclient ver
CIFS-Client product revision A.02.02.02

I've tryied diffrent means :
cifsmount //server_name/TestRman /testcifs -s -U myuser
-> SRV: Invalid netname
mount -F cifs rss00022:/TestRman /testcifs and a cifslogin after.
-> it does not work to

When I try on a redhat system, everything is ok :
#mount -t cifs //server_name/testrman /mnt -o username=myuser
Password:
# ls /mnt
test.txt

Have you an idea ?

Thank you !

14 REPLIES 14
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is there any problem with name resolution ??
Check if HP-UX is resolving the hostname .

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Emilie25
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Yes, the server can resolv the name. To be sure, I've put it in the /etc/hosts.

I think the problem may come from our file server which is on windows 2008 2 nodes cluster. I read that some people have the problem on this kind of system, but I cannot find the solution.

Thank you !

Emilie.
Raj Briden
Frequent Advisor

Just try this

#cifsmount //windows system name/shared directory mountpoint -U administrator -P password
Emilie25
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I got the same error : SRV: Invalid netname

Raj Briden
Frequent Advisor

When mounting shares from a Windows/SMB server onto HP-UX using the CIFS Client application, one must specify the sharename in the cifsmount or mount request. This differs from a Windows client, which can specify a subdirectory in a share when mapping the drive, and is true for all versions of CIFS Client. In this instance the mount request was trying to mount a subdirectory in the oradata share, which will not work with CIFS.

When receiving the message "SRV: Invalid netname " verify that the cifsmount or mount command is specifying the simple sharename only, and that the sharename is valid on the Windows/SMB server.
Emilie25
Occasional Advisor

I specify a share name only and not a subdirectory.
Michael P. O'Brien
Occasional Advisor

After upgrading one of our Windows servers from 2003 to 2008 we have the same problem with mounting a Windows share. We get the message:

SRV: Invalid netname

Does anybody know how to get around this issue?
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

We had the same exact issue here, (but in reverse - new Windows machines mounting Samba) and we had to make sure that the password for that user in Unix is the same as the password for that user in Windoze. And it started to work.

And my feelings at that point: Bleah. Hated that I had to keep them in sync. I liked requiring diff passwords for diff platforms.

Anwyas, try using same user name, same password on both platforms and see if you get a different result. If it starts to work, then unfortunately, you know the answer.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Emilie25
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Fiannly I use NFS mount. The HP support had no response concern the cifs problem.

Thank you !