1748177 Members
4531 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /proc counterpart in hp-ux

C_V
Frequent Advisor

/proc counterpart in hp-ux

Hey guys is there a counterpart for /proc in hp-ux?
9 REPLIES 9
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi,

/proc is only for linux and not in unix generally.

If you want to check hardware config, hpux does better.

disk
# ioscan -funC disk

tape
# ioscan -funC tape

To check entire config including firmware version etc
# echo "Map SelAll Information ; wait InfoLog Done Exit OK" | cstm | more

Rgds

Sagar Sirdesai
Trusted Contributor

HI
There is no /proc or Proc filesystem in hp-ux

Sagar
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

No, the '/proc' filesytem isn't implemented on HP-UX. One wishes.

It would be helpful to know exactly what you want to do in order to provide a better answer.

Regards!

...JRF...

Most of what /proc provides on Linux can be got at some other way on HP-UX (except seeing into a processes environment which I always thoughy of as a security issue anyway).

What are you trying to accomplish?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Modulo the answers to some of the followup questions asked, a common means by which information is retrieved would be the pstat family of system calls. You can start with man pstat and go from there.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

/proc also exists on solaris, although it's not the same proc as on linux. in linux the /proc does more.

if you think /proc can be replaced by ioscan, you are sadly mistaken. /proc contains hw info, all process info, info on the vm etc. it allows you to easily get info and parse it, simply with 'cat', it doesn't cost you anything. it will also allow you to adjust settings for some fields, changing the kernel/module settings on the fly using a simple 'echo', simple, yet efficient - hmm, yes, two things hpux hasn't heard of...

C_V
Frequent Advisor

Hi i think /proc is a goodway of getting system information and details about your machine, i was just hoping if there is also a particular directory in hp-ux where it stores its system details and can be viewed by anyone.:)
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

As mentioned earlier, there is no /proc here. You need to use various commands and syscalls to know the details.
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

hi sigfred,

i hope original question had been answered and really appreciate if points could be assign to the responders.

Rgds