3727 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: process consume the filesystem by high I/O

itrc55
Regular Advisor

process consume the filesystem by high io

Hi,

my system is running with high disk load , and cpu/memory load is very low.

So how could I find which process is now consuming the largest system IO resource?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Do you have glance/gpm installed?

itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Yes i have glance

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Yes I have glance

Then look at all of the processes and find the one with high I/O.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

When you run Glance, you have several choices to display the order of the interesting processes. When running glance, always use the ? command to show the 1-character commands available while glance is running.  There are 2 pages of commands -- be sure to type f to go forward or b to go backward. To change the order of the processes, type o (the letter o, not zero) then 1 ENTER, or just ENTER.  You'll see a screen like this:

INTERESTING PROCESS THRESHOLD OPTIONS

Display processes with resource usage:              Current Thresholds:

CPU Utilization             >                 (5.0                %      )
      Disk I/O Rate               >                 (5.0                IOs/sec)
      Resident Set Size           >                 (99                 Mbytes )
      Virtual Set Size            >                 (99                 Mbytes )
      User name                   =                 (all                       )
      Program name                =                 (all                       )
      TTY path name               =                 (all                       )
      Use match logic (and/or)    :                 (or                        )
      Sort key (name/cpu/disk/rss):                 (disk                      )

Change the threshold for disk I/Os (5 or 10 is good) and then change the sort key to disk. Save this setting and now your glance listing will show the processes that use the most disk I/O at the top of the list.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin