108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: qlogic HBA rescan

SOLVED
Go to solution
MartyB
Frequent Advisor

qlogic HBA rescan

The utility that QLogic provides to rescan the SCSI bus for new devices interrupts IO on all active devices for a short period of time. Is there any way to scan the bus without interrupting IO?
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Can you describe the procedure you used? There are different methods to do it and I want to know which one you are using.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
MartyB
Frequent Advisor

I'm using the tool QLogic recommmends, ql-dynamic-tgt-lun-disc.sh (version 2.3)
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I was unable to download the package and check the script. Yo can try the following procedure:

http://run.tournament.org.il/hot-adding-san-lun-to-linux-rh-with-qlogic-drivers/

And the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script. If the server is HP, you can try the hp_rescan command.

Post your results.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
MartyB
Frequent Advisor

That article refers to the rescan method used in /proc, which has been obsolete since somewhere in the early RHEL4 days. I'm running RHEL5.2 on the system in question, and the QLogic utility is more or less a shell that employs the more modern SCSI scan method of "echo 1 > /sys/class/fc_host//issue_lip" (as opposed to messing around in /proc).

Unfortunately, the "issue_lip" does indeed interrupt IO on my other active LUNs on this host for ~10-15 seconds, which is unacceptable in my environment.

Do you or anyone else know of a method to rescan without IO interruption? These are HP servers (EMC storage), but the version of hp_rescan I've got uses the /proc method as well, and as such is obsolete (I've tried it and it doesn't seem to do much of anything). Can you point me to the latest version? I would certainly give it a shot.

Thanks!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Issuing a LIP will indeed produce a small disconnection on the fabric. Just check these documents:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3942

You will see that the /proc is still a valid method.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Your corect RHEL 5.x switched from /proc to using /sys

HP has a utility caled hp_rescan that is in the hp-fibreutils package in the Linux PSP. The current PSP doesn't have a version that will install on RHEL5, but there is a version posted that is for RHEL5. This works with both QLogic and Emulex HBA's. The latest version is

Linux inbox driver enablement kits for QLogic HBAs and mezzanine cards

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=co-69719-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The hp_rescan utility is in the fibreutils-3.0-3 rpm file

hp_rescan -h will give you the syntax and options for use.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MartyB
Frequent Advisor

The new hp_rescan does indeed do what I need it to do, thanks!