4307 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: question about open files

navin
Super Advisor

question about open files

Hi,

I have a rp3440 system which has 11.23 os running.The box was crashed and we had to fresh install the box .Now we are trying to restore the os file systems from backup.What are the pros and cons here - of restoring os file systems on the running system.

Evidently we have done this some time before but not recently , so pls let me know .Thanks
Learning ...
10 REPLIES 10
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

> What are the pros and cons here - of restoring os file systems on the running system.

Navin,
I understand the os filesystems are the filesystem that comes with a fresh os installation .

/stand (lvol1)
/ (root lvol3)
/home
/tmp
/usr
/home
/var
/opt

Now which filesystem you want to restore, and why?

I understand you may be interested restoring /home filesystem as it contains the user home direcory and files.

Remember for other filesystem like /opt which contains the applications , and restoring may not help and would not make sire the applications will run fine as they links and copies reference files in other place too, it would be wise to re-install the applications.

Hth,
Raj.

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Navin:

> The box was crashed and we had to fresh install the box .Now we are trying to restore the os file systems from backup.What are the pros and cons here - of restoring os file systems on the running system.

This isn't clear. If you "had to fresh install" that suggests that you re-Ignited the server from either an Ignite backup or the OE DVD's.

That said, _exactly_ what "os file systems" or files are you trying to restore?

For binary executable files you can't simply copy a backup file over them. You will get a "text busy" error. If you are speaking of configuration files like '/etc/passwd' there is no problem. Your restoration, if you truly re-Ignited or cold-installed, should be at a file-specific level. Specific questions yield specific answers.

Regards!

...JRF...
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

How did you "fresh install" the server.
re-ignited or installed from a CD.

If you have reignited and its recent ignite you don have to restore anything it would be fine.
If its old then you will have to install other softwares which are not there.

Else if you have full backup you can restore backup with no over write option.

BR
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

HI,
>>The box was crashed and we had to fresh install the box

How you will go for fresh instalation ?
1.Ignite
2.DVD
3.Other backup restore.

Suraj
navin
Super Advisor

Hi All thank you all for your expertise.

The specifica question....is

Have a fresh install on a system.But would like to get the system up and running as before - so trying to get everything recovered from the latest full backup.

What is the solution for text busy error?
For the reply..."select no over write option"..what type of backup software you have mentioned...here we are using symantec veritas netbackup.

Again thanks for all your replies
Learning ...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>What is the solution for text busy error?

An atomic "ln -f" on the busy load module then another to move the new one in place.
navin
Super Advisor

can u pls explain more.thank you much
Learning ...
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>can you please explain more

# Copy (or move) to same directory
cp .../file .../dir/file.new
ln -f .../dir/file .../dir/file.old
ln -f .../dir/file.new .../dir/file

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1357534
navin
Super Advisor

Hello All,
Thank you all for your reply. I would like to keep this chat open until for next 2 days and surely will assign the points .
Thanks you all for your expertise.
Much Appreciated
Learning ...